Power Cable through the Firewall

FalconGuy016

Oct 26, 2004
Northern VA
I'm trying to pass a 4 guage power cable through the firewall to the battery. The one guide I'm using simply says "use driver side gromet" and the picture indicates the one that is high up in the firewall on the driver side of the engine bay. I do not understand how I can get to this gromet. Does anybody know what to do :(.

• Sponsors (?)

If you haven't already run the wire then push the wire through the grommet from the engine side ... you will see it when you look under the dash. If you have to run it from the inside to the engine bay then its more of a PITA. Just slide the seat all the way back, lay upside down and prepare to be cramped .. prop up a flashlight or something so you can see what you are doing. Hope that helps some. :shrug:

I put mine through the big fat drivers side grommet too....I actually cut a hole in it with a x-acto knife. Then fed it through from the engine bay first.

There's also a grommet on the passenger side, mine had a blank plug w/ nothing passing through....But its tough to get to....I pulled mine out, dropped it, and it entered the abyss of missing car parts, never to be seen again, and I could never find a replacement.

I put mine through the big fat drivers side grommet too....I actually cut a hole in it with a x-acto knife. Then fed it through from the engine bay first.

There's also a grommet on the passenger side, mine had a blank plug w/ nothing passing through....But its tough to get to....I pulled mine out, dropped it, and it entered the abyss of missing car parts, never to be seen again, and I could never find a replacement.

That's the best way to do it.

i put mine outside of the gromet. i stuck a metal coat hanger through then wrapped it around the wire and yanked it through. Completely professional lol!

That's how I did mine too ... :lol: Cool air blows on my leg when I drive.

It was a PITA though....took some time and care. I chopped up the outside of the grommet pretty good, but it didn't actually affect it. More just gouges from where I'd get a little too knife happy.

Crap, I just pulled through the outside edge. I hope it doesn't cut it down the road.

Sorry guys bear with me :D my last issue, the remote turn on lead. I can't figure the best place for that. The stock Mach 460 amps in the back don't seem to have one.
'

I bought an add-a-circuit from Autozone for like $3. What it is, is a dual fuse holder on a 90 degree angle, with a wire coming off of it, and male fuse prongs. You plug it into one of the fuse spots, and put two fuses in the other side of it. One fuse is for the socket you removed it from, and the other is for the wire running out of it. I just tested fuses until I found one that had power when key on, and off when off. I can't remember which one it was, but you get the idea. If you need pictures, I can handle that in an hour or so.

i know a simpler way......i did it on my car when i was installing an amp...so i know it works....it just that u'll have to cut the wires behind the cigarette lighter infront of the shifter....and when ever u go home or ur planning to leave the car off for a long time u have to unplug it......using a adapter and RCA cables.....it might sound confusing...but if you know how to splice and use shrink wrap tubing...its easy

Nuts to all of that. If you are using a small enough wire for the remote, then you can just remove a fuse, and push the wire into the fuseholder with the fuse. I did that for a real long time until I saw the add-a-circuit.

Nuts to all of that. If you are using a small enough wire for the remote, then you can just remove a fuse, and push the wire into the fuseholder with the fuse. I did that for a real long time until I saw the add-a-circuit.

Can do that or just put in a switch. Since you already have the big power wire running, tap into it, then to the switch, then to the remote turn on.

Sounds like a pain but would take me 10 minutes tops. (I like switches for some weird reason) :)

There are a few different ways but the easiest and most simple explanation is:

Take the fuse out and splice off like an inch of wire, twist it, wrap it around one of the fuse plugs, plug the fuse in.

You will want to make sure that you are using a fuse that is only providing 12v when the ignition is turned ... like the radio fuse or something. You don't want to kill your battery by having the amp always turned on.

The better way to do the fuse is get an in line fuse (it's like a fuse that plugs in normally and also has another slot for a second fuse and a line running off to connect to). Autozone or wherever sells them.