Power Steering Pump Question

grump1961

Jul 12, 2004
I have a 93 5.0 Fox body and I am in the process of replacing the pulley's with the March Billet kit.

I know this may sound silly and I have search for everything under the sun on How To but I can't seem to find anything.

How do you put a new pulley on a new PS pump? I would assume that it gets pressed on but I'm not sure what to use as the stop for a press?

Thanks in advance I love reading these articles.

Rick

• Sponsors (?)

Hey

Resurrecting an old thread as I searched and didn't find a specific answer... I need to replace my PS pump and have a question about the pulley, want to make sure I have all the tools needed to do the job in one shot (don't have another car to run to store if I need something).

I need to get the puller tool, and press off the old pulley. Then do you need an impact wrench to install the new one? Or is there a way to hold the hub while tightening the pulley nut? I had this problem with an alternator, no matter how much I tried to tighten the pulley it still spun free under load.

Is there a trick to installing the new pulley?

Thanks.

A long threaded bolt, a washer and nut can be used instead of the puller. Put the nut on the bolt, spin in on as far as it will go, the then put the washer on the bolt. Thread the bolt all the way into the pump shaft and put a dab of grease or oil on the both sides of the washer and the bolt threads, Tighten down on the nut to force the pulley onto the pump shaft.