Powerful Stereo and Alternator/Battery question...

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
I have a very powerful stereo system already right now and my ligths are dim at idle and the battery voltage goes up and down and when im idling with the music high the voltage is very low. And btw i have the oem stock alternator now.

For my birthday im getting a even better sub and amp that will be puttin out around 1000 watts rms so I'm wondering what i should buy to not have any problems with the lights dimmings and such.

I was thinking it was a new more powerful alternator but I'm not positive. And if it is what kind of alternator should i get?

Thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

The amp I have for my subs is about the same power level. I still have some dimming at idle when the subs hit. I am using a Powermaster 165 alt, and used to have 2 800cca Stinger bats. I also had several caps, and it would still dim a little at idle.

The alt will help alot, as will a good fast drain battery. Most of the bats marketed to the car stereo crowd will have faster drain rates.

Most here use a 3g alt. You can also find alts from PA Performance. There are some wiring changes that will need to be done to get the most performance/safety out of them. Do a search for member jrichker and either 3G or PA Performance. That should get you something, but the search tool here is a little weak.

Good Luck

jason

im using a bit more power than that (around 1200 rms) i run 2 huge fuel pumps, a kitchen sink, 2 blow job machines, etc...

I run a 94/95 220 amp alternator and i have 0 issues with anything, i think the alt cost around 300 bux, and i baught a ne 4 gauge wire to go from teh alt to the termanal..

dang man! some of you guys need a supercharger just to power your alternators for your audio equipment....:rlaugh:

i was going to recomend a 130 amp 3g but you may need more than that.......i'm surprised the stocker is working at all......

I have around 1200 watts rms going on right now. I also have the stock alternator, but i have a 140amp im installing soon. You dont need another battery really just a powerful amp should be sufficient. for anything reasonable. But a cap might be a good idea if you listen to a lot of rap (bassy stuff)

make sure you know how to properly install the new alt. its not just a bolt on and go...or you WILL have a fire.

I was having the same problem. At first I installed a 1fared DB Drive capacitor, but I still had dimming headlights at idle. I then bought an Optima yellow top battery and a powermaster 140 amp alternator. The alternator is a simple installation. All you need to do is unbolt the old alternator unplug the electrical harness which you will no longer use. You bolt on the new alternator and wire it up with the supplied one wire hook up that you connect directly to the battery. I bought the battery and alternator from Summit Racing. Hope that helps.