Premium sound in A 93 hatch

5.0Droptop

...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??
Special Agent Mukity-Muck Whats in Charge Round Here
May 15, 2002
Indiana
How to remove Premium sound in A 93 hatch so as to install new radio Now with pics!!!

My new 93 had the premium sound with the amp under the seat. Behind the radio there was 1 plug to power the oem radio and one blue cord with a square plug. I had never ran across this on my earlier model mustangs. Normally you have 2 flat plugs to wire your install kit to.

AT CRUTCHFIELD.COM YOU CAN BUY A $30 HARNESS TO BYPASS THE AMP AND DO THE SAME THING I DOCUMENTED HERE.

WHY PAY WHEN YOU CAN DO IT FOR FREE.

THIS SEEMS TO BE 1993 SPECIFIC.

I have documented to the best of my ability how to remove the amp and harness so as to install a after market radio and not have to cut and splice the oem wires. I hope this makes since and will help others who may run into this. I am not easily stumped by wiring but ford had me baffled on this loop harness.

SKIP DOWN TO THE FIRST POST WITH PICS.

• Sponsors (?)

My new 93 had the premium sound with the amp under the seat.
With this set up there is no speaker wire plug behind the radio. I found that they extended the speaker wire plug to go all the way to the factory amp under the pass seat. So I remove the passinger seat and removed the amp. I pulled the speaker wire/amp harness back up to where the radio is, I can now use the factory speaker wires Ill cut the plug off if needed. I havent bought a install adapter kit yet but I am wondering if the speaker wire adapter in the kit will plug into the harness I pulled up from underthe seat. Anyone else did this?

I dont know how much of a help I can be, but my amp for my premium sound was behind my stereo and had two plugs. That being said, I had to utilize both with the adapter harness, but it worked great! I could either bypass it or choose to use it. Of course I chose to use it so I could retain the six speaker setup.

I found a picture on ebay of a complete 93 mustang premium sound harness so I used it to figgure it out.

On the 1993 mustang with the ford premium sound the amp is under the passinger seat. Basically the harness is a big loop,
This set up utilizes a special harness seen here: this harness has been modified a little for the after market head unit. But its the complete harness.

93mustangpremiumsoundharnessandamp.jpg

The amp is under the seat and the2 plugs at the bottom left of the pic go to the amp.

After removing the above harness I found that the 2 plugs I needed were attached to the metal frame work with push pins way up behind and out of site.
When I unplugged the preimum sound harness from them I was left with the 2 plug oem radio harness ready to use with a generic install kit,
IMG_4505.jpg

Below is the whole premium harness when I removed it from my car.

IMG_4507.jpg

Basically If you do not want to use the factory amp you can remove the whole harness or just reach up behind the frame work and un plug the loop harnes. and youll be able to use the 2 plugs that are left and install a generic installation kit bought at walmart. It took me a while to sort this out but hopefully it will make since when you see the pics.

In this picture I labled the plugs.

harness.jpg

the 2 that are circled and its says these go to the oem harness.

they plugged into these plugs..

IMG_4505.jpg

these plugs will power your after market radio and supply sound to the speakers. They were hidden and attached to metal frame with plastic push pins.

I hate to be that guy to bump a 12 year old thread but I'm going through this now and the pictures on here arent showing up. By your word, "framework" does that mean behind the dash tucked up there? In my 93 lx with premium sound I found the 2 plugs 1 gray and 1 black that go to the flat plugs in most kits.. then I have a black square plug on a blue wire and a gray plug that connects to a flat connector that goes to an amp under the seat.(the wiring near the amp on my car is all hacked up and look rigged somehow...So can I just completely remove those 2 cables that go to the amp and delete the amp all together and use the two rectangle plugs? Thanks!

I hate to be that guy to bump a 12 year old thread but I'm going through this now and the pictures on here arent showing up. By your word, "framework" does that mean behind the dash tucked up there? In my 93 lx with premium sound I found the 2 plugs 1 gray and 1 black that go to the flat plugs in most kits.. then I have a black square plug on a blue wire and a gray plug that connects to a flat connector that goes to an amp under the seat.(the wiring near the amp on my car is all hacked up and look rigged somehow...So can I just completely remove those 2 cables that go to the amp and delete the amp all together and use the two rectangle plugs? Thanks!

Yes. Unplug and remove the two cables to the amp and you can hook a new stereo directly to the wiring running to the speakers.

See this thread for more info, although different subject matter.

Btw, save or toss your original stereo stuff on eBay. It has value these days

Reactions: 1 user
Upon digging around I found 2 flat rectangular plugs, 1 gray and one black. From my understanding these 2 plugs and the blue one run to the amp. If I just disconnect the wires running to the amp I can use the other 2 L shape plugs to power my radio? I'm not good at this stuff lol pics below

Attachments

• 20190613_095226.jpg
    20190613_095226.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 20190613_095235.jpg
    20190613_095235.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 20190613_095329.jpg
    20190613_095329.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 233
The two male plugs in the first pic are the main harness from the body. This runs out to the speakers and contains power for the radio. If you are bypassing the amp use these two male plugs.

The other connections go to the amp. The single male and blue wire connect to head unit from the amp, and the two female plugs go to the amp. With amp bypassed, all 4 will be unplugged.

First pic is what you want.

The two male plugs in the first pic are the main harness from the body. This runs out to the speakers and contains power for the radio. If you are bypassing the amp use these two male plugs.

The other connections go to the amp. The single male and blue wire connect to head unit from the amp, and the two female plugs go to the amp. With amp bypassed, all 4 will be unplugged.

First pic is what you want.
Thanks man! Makes me wonder why they even sell "bypass kits" if all you need to use is two female connectors on those male plugs.. and every car has em... odd. Maybe my wiring job was bad, gonna get a new stereo that's better and re try this again! You've helped me a lot man! Thanks!

Thanks man! Makes me wonder why they even sell "bypass kits" if all you need to use is two female connectors on those male plugs.. and every car has em... odd. Maybe my wiring job was bad, gonna get a new stereo that's better and re try this again! You've helped me a lot man! Thanks!

Well, the bypass kit would plug into those two male plugs and then allow you to splice directly to the wiring pigtain from the new headunit. Allows you to make the connections without hacking off the original plug

Well, the bypass kit would plug into those two male plugs and then allow you to splice directly to the wiring pigtain from the new headunit. Allows you to make the connections without hacking off the original plug
So I'm out here now at the car. I got a new radio harness, and the female connectors for those Male plugs. Did it all right and nothing. Checked bothe the fuse on the radio and the fuse on the car and both are good. I hear the radio making a noise inside like it wants to work. Its brand spanking new.. so it cant be that. I disconnected the wiring that goes to the amp it self, so what else am I doing wrong? My 87 GT was NOT this complicated. Took me 20 minutes at most...

Attachments

• 20190613_174730.jpg
    20190613_174730.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 373
Do your speakers work? Have you ever heard sound out of them? Test them with a 9v battery to see if you hear a healthy pop from each when you touch the battery to the speaker wires

Have you verified you have a good ground and have power on the constant 12v and the key on 12v?
I'm going to go do that today. So to clarify something, how does the amp it self get power? I'm assuming the 2 L-shape Male plugs go into those two female plugs and that's what gives the harness itself power to go to the amp? And if that's the case then all Mustangs are wired for non premium sound?

Are you trying to utilize the factory amp with the new radio or just curious how it gets power? Are the speakers factory or have they been changed out? I've never messed with a 93 looks to be a little different, but when I upgraded my 90 and 92 it was pretty straight forward.

I dont want to use the factory amp at all but I am curious how it works. Also I'm out in my car right now, hooked up a radio harness into the Male connector and have no power on yellow 12v. Checked every fuse including 16 or 11 I forget(the one for the radio) and all are good. Also used the multimeter on them all to be sure and all are good. Not sure why my non premium sound plugs give no power.

I'm not looking at a wiring diagram so take this for what its worth. If the fuses are all good it sounds to me that there is a break in the wire somewhere. I know that sounds obvious. If it was me I'd start checking continuity from the fuse block to the end of the radio harness. There are some great wiring diagrams on here that will help out. I'll look for one when I get to a computer.