Electrical Premium Stereo

fredfifty

Nov 23, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have the preemo setup (factory amp plus 6 speakers) and wanted to upgrade. I ordered a deck and amp bypass harness adapter (metra 70-5006). I also purchased the 4 channel mini alpine amp (45w x 4) but im wondering does this harness adapter power the 6 speakers or just 4? Or do i need to use the alpine amp to power the door and rear deck speakers, and have the stereo push the dash speakers?

Another setup i was considering, is the standalone setup. Since i like the stock tape deck look, i was thinking to hook up the alpine amp and run a rca-to-jack adapter directly from the amp to my iphone (which would technically be the head unit). Has anyone done this?

• Sponsors (?)

My car had 6 speakers in it when I got it but not the premium sound system. The dash and door speakers were just wired in parallel with each other. I installed a component set and used the factory wiring for the mids in the doors and ran new wires to the tweeters that I installed in the dash were the 3.5" speakers normally are. I used the Metra harness to interface my Alpine amp to factory wiring. Here's a picture of the amp and passive crossovers under my passenger's side seat.
20170114_210627.jpg

Thanks! It has been great so far. Plenty of power in a small footprint. It's actually the 2nd one I've owned. The 1st lived in my boat for 2 years till I added a sub and swapped it for a 5 channel. It was also flawless.

When I got the car it didn't have a factory amp just a Sony head unit wired into the factory wiring with a Metra harness. I guess it could have been removed long ago.

Reactions: 1 user