Fox Prepping a '91 to start after 5 years sitting?

331strokerGT

Founding Member
Jan 13, 1999
1,244
0
36
North Carolina
I have not started up my '91 Fox body in about 5 years. It's been sitting in my garage for that time, but I did not correclty prep it for storage i.e. fuel treatment, etc..

I see most procedures start with verifying the condition of the fuel and tank; maybe start with a manual transfer pump to siphon out the fuel and a cheap borescope to inspect? Hope the tank is decent, including the pump and sender?

Or is this just wishful thinking and just drop the tank as it likley will need to be replaced?
 
You need to drop the tank after you pump it out. It’s not hard to do and this will allow a better inspection. I would replace the rubber line between the fuel pump and fuel pump hanger and the fuel pump sock filter. If it’s the stock fuel pump I would just replace it due to the age.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Potomus Pete
I'd siphon out the tank and inspect what you get. If you can, put fresh gas in and change the fuel filter. It really all depends on how much moisture got into the fuel tank to turn that fuel to varnish. If you can get a borescope down the filler that would be good otherwise you can siphon and drop tank and see the condition. If it was relatively tight it should actually be in decent shape.

My car sat for 8 years, and then later 4 years with fuel in the tank (definitely E10 the 2nd time), and it looked spotless when I inspected.

Otherwise, change the oil, squirt a little oil into the cylinders and turn engine over by hand a few times.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DadLife0724