Pro 5.0 shifter versus BBK shifter

KdSaint

Jul 24, 2007
Florida
My mustang came with a BBK shifter installed, but a friend of mine found an only slightly used Pro 5.0 shifter and gave it to me. (Woot! I love freebies.) I was wondering what the difference between the two shifters would be, if one is better or worse, shorter longer throws, etc. If anybody has had some experience with either of the two shifters, your opinions would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

It is a very easy swap...

The Pro 5.0 will come with easy to read instructions, basically consisting of:

Take off shift bezel, unbolt the 4 rubber boot bolts, unbolt (1/2"?) the 4 tranny bolts, and use the shifter and pry up on it. It will break loose with lots of silicone around the tranny/shifter. Clean it off with a razor blade, scraping away from the transmission insides. Apply new bead of silicone and the install is pretty much the reverse steps. You will have to trim the rubber boot, and the instructions come with a template. Then adjust the stop bolts (so you don't overshift and bend/break a shift fork). You can adjust them in 3rd and 4th gear. You put the car in gear and back the stop bolts one turn from the 3rd and 4th gear.

Again, the Pro 5.0 will come with great instructions and it is easy...and it comes with new longer bolts I believe, so you can shift harder;)

I have not tried the BBK shifter, but I have had two Pro 5.0 (just installed one on the '98 last week), and a Tri-Ax. Tried Hurst and B&M.

My preference is the Pro 5.0 (shortest throw of all shifters), with the Tri-Ax right behind it.

The Pro 5.0 feels very stoute and built tough.

the MGW is by far the best shifter i have ever used...theyre guaranteed against breaking and noone i know of with that shifter has ever missed a gear, it looks good (even though you wont see it) and its the tightest, most positive feeling shift..you wont regret it

Because I can't afford the MGW shifter, I went ahead and installed the 5.0 just a few minutes ago. Gonna wait a couple of hours to let the seal dry and take her out and see how she does. Thanks all for the help.

Saint

If you have not missed a shift with a particular shifter, they aren't trying hard enough. That is pretty bad info to give someone, and they are going to wonder what is wrong with their shifter when they miss a gear.

Most of the time, people need to work on there hand/feet coordination and the feet seem to be a little bit slower than the hand...

I have not tried the MGW, I imagine it is similar to a Tri-ax (in shape).

I don't think you will regret either shifter...

Anyone had a Pro 5.0 and a MGW?