Problem With TAD/TAB Solenoids Codes 81/82. PLEASE HELP.

91FoxVee8

Apr 12, 2021
So I have codes 81 and 82 and it is a problem with the TAD/TAB solenoids from what I understand. I jut purchased new ones and cleared the codes ran the car and they came back. What else could this be and how can i troubleshoot this? I found another article that mentions testing the voltage at the red wire i did that and it is 12v like it should be so im kind of at a loss. I do not know a lot about this system so please dumb it down like youre talking to a kid i wont be offended it will be beneficial to me Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

What are the actual codes you are getting?

Are they plumbed correctly in terms of the vac lines connected to the two valves coming off the air pump? Are they connected to the correct valves and do they work so that the ECU is detecting a change via the o2 sensors?

Reactions: 1 user
This is on my 87 BTW not my 91.. I am getting Codes 81 O - Air Management 2 (AM2) circuit failure and 82 O - Air Management 1 (AM1) circuit failure

All the vacuum lines that i can see are connected correctly. 2 yellow lines to the TAB and 2 yellow lines to the TAD i traced them back and are plugged in.

im sorry how do i tell if its connected to the valves? also how do i see if the ECU is detecting the changes?

I do not have CATS by the way but i do have 02s

wait a min mine was speed density but i switched to MAF conversion is this normal to have this CEL then?
No that doesn't have anything to do with the TAD and TAB

I would double check to make sure they are connected to the right valves

Attachments

• attachment.php_attachmentid=50636&d=1180923382.gif
    attachment.php_attachmentid=50636&d=1180923382.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 72
No that doesn't have anything to do with the TAD and TAB

I would double check to make sure they are connected to the right valves
ok someone on forums said only speed density cars use those so i was confused. I will disregard it. THANK YOU for the diagram i will check in the morning and get back to you i appreciate the help. Been chasing this down forever

ok someone on forums said only speed density cars use those so i was confused. I will disregard it. THANK YOU for the diagram i will check in the morning and get back to you i appreciate the help. Been chasing this down forever
Good luck and that isn't true. They are not only for speed density cars

If you do not have cats, what is your motivation for repairing this circuit?

They are no longer needed if your cats are gone. The code 81/82 are soft codes that wouldn’t normally display the CEL light (but 87s don’t have one anyway) and does not affect how the engine runs or the ECU tune.

Reactions: 1 users
OK i did not know that. Thank you i wont even worry about it i figured it was hurting performance either gas mpg or idle speed. I have been chasing down an issue. When i start my car sometimes it dies a couple times then starts and runs from then on. sometimes it just idles at 1500rpm then falls down and idles correctly. I just want it to run smoothly. I replaced fuel filter i fixed all the vacuum leaks i could find and its still doing it. Thought maybe the fuel pump but the fuel pump turns on when i hit the key. i guess it still probably could be the pump. I just want the car to start up and not die cause it sounds like junk when it does and its embarassing lol

You might still have a vac leak. These cars are notorious for it. You might want to build a smoke machine and do a smoke test to really be sure you’ve captured every vac leak

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
You might still have a vac leak. These cars are notorious for it. You might want to build a smoke machine and do a smoke test to really be sure you’ve captured every vac leak
ok i will do that. i only found one under intake manifold rubber vacuum cap was blown out its prolly best to do it this way thank you ffor the info. Willl update.