Project Sit In A Field For The Next Year

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
I'm back after a 4+ year hiatus and I brought an 81 t top car with me! I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. It's just a shell (no harness or interior) and I originally purchased it with the intentions of swapping everything from my 87 GT over to. It was originally a 255 auto car and the body is straight as an arrow with no rust. I was never a big fan of the 79-82 front bumper, but after looking for parts for this thing and realizing how rare they seem to be anymore, I'm kind of wanting to keep the original bumpers now. I may be able to salvage the factory bumpers I have, but if not, does anyone know where to get 79-82 parts? If sourcing parts is going to be too much of a hassle, i'm just going to swap everything from my 87 or another 87-89 car. I know you foureye people are going to hate that, but it is what it is. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0743.jpg
    IMAG0743.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG0744.jpg
    IMAG0744.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Screw it. I'll say it. Swap everything 87GT over, except do a 85-86 nose.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
79-82 are tough to find. You may want to try these guys

• MPS in Atlanta
  • Eddyson in Miami
  • Out to Pasture Parts
Nice job saving the T Top!

Thanks man! I'll check them out.

Screw it. I'll say it. Swap everything 87GT over, except do a 85-85 nose.

You know, I'm actually considering doing this. Interior, wiring, drivetrain, etc are definitely going to be from an aero car one way or another and they are my favorite fox, but it would be cool to have something different than what I already have. That's the main reason why i'm considering trying to keep the factory bumpers as well. 85/86 bumpers are making their way to the front though!

If you swap, do a complete swap, dash and all

That's the plan. I would have to anyways being as there is no interior in this car at all.

I'm back after a 4+ year hiatus and I brought an 81 t top car with me! I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. It's just a shell (no harness or interior) and I originally purchased it with the intentions of swapping everything from my 87 GT over to. It was originally a 255 auto car and the body is straight as an arrow with no rust. I was never a big fan of the 79-82 front bumper, but after looking for parts for this thing and realizing how rare they seem to be anymore, I'm kind of wanting to keep the original bumpers now. I may be able to salvage the factory bumpers I have, but if not, does anyone know where to get 79-82 parts? If sourcing parts is going to be too much of a hassle, i'm just going to swap everything from my 87 or another 87-89 car. I know you foureye people are going to hate that, but it is what it is. Thanks!
PM me, I have a source in Tulsa. The place where I got my '83. He has several '79-'82 mustangs that aren't picked clean.

Reactions: 1 user
You know, I'm actually considering doing this. Interior, wiring, drivetrain, etc are definitely going to be from an aero car one way or another and they are my favorite fox, but it would be cool to have something different than what I already have. That's the main reason why i'm considering trying to keep the factory bumpers as well. 85/86 bumpers are making their way to the front though!

all.

Since you aren't going 100% factory resto then just do what appeals to you. Take off the '82 specific parts and make sure they find someone that really needs them.

I've never really seen a full aero type car with 85/86 nose. I guess you can mix and match a bit here as well, like old school tails and hatch

PM me, I have a source in Tulsa. The place where I got my '83. He has several '79-'82 mustangs that aren't picked clean.

awesome man, thanks! I'll PM you shortly

Does that have the 79-82 style tails still?

It does, but those are definitely getting changed. I can't bring myself to like them at all. They're pretty beat up anyways.

Since you aren't going 100% factory resto then just do what appeals to you. Take off the '82 specific parts and make sure they find someone that really needs them.

I've never really seen a full aero type car with 85/86 nose. I guess you can mix and match a bit here as well, like old school tails and hatch

This is what i'm probably going to end up doing. I never thought i'd say it, but i'm excited about having a four eye car lol. I'll get the core support off cleanly and try to find someone that can use the parts. The hood is perfect as well.

FEP would burn you on a stake. I like it.

haha I was perusing FEP the other day trying to find out differences in front end structure and some guy was hinting at the possibility of putting an aero bumper on his car. You'd have thought he sat down during the pledge of allegiance with how much they were hounding him! Needless to say, this build is not getting posted on that site lol

Reactions: 1 users
I think I mentioned putting an 85/86 nose on my 88 one time and I got reamed for "stealing parts from guys who need them" haven't been back since

I think I mentioned putting an 85/86 nose on my 88 one time and I got reamed for "stealing parts from guys who need them" haven't been back since

That's ridiculous! They make aftermarket 85/86 bumpers!! Yeah the guy had an 81 mustang as well and couldn't find a replacement bumper so he was asking about swapping to an 85-90 front end. Some guy said swapping to an 85/86 nose was okay but 87+ was a no no because the site does not condone or allow "how to's" or "show and tells" of aero conversions :nonono:

Love it man! I also vote for the later 4 eye nose. If starting from scratch, what about a new edge 99-04 interior swap?

Joe

That would be a fun swap, but more than likely i'm going to find a fox donor car because I need fuel lines, brake lines, full harness, rearend, etc. and it would be easier/more cost efficient to just use the interior out of the donor car as well. Also, I just noticed the other day that this car has crank windows which I thought was pretty cool! It's going to be fun trying to find those door panels though.

EDIT...well damn, just saw that LMR sells manual door panels. That was easy enough!

Just to add my two noncents, get a '79-'82 front end. I really like those. The hood contours on those years are some of the best.

Isn't that right @Noobz347 ?

That guy I was telling you about has the parts.
image.jpeg

He has more than this one, that's just to give you an idea.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to add my two noncents, get a '79-'82 front end. I really like those. The hood contours on those years are some of the best.

Isn't that right @Noobz347 ?

That guy I was telling you about has the parts.
image.jpeg

He has more than this one, that's just to give you an idea.

I completely forgot to PM you, i've been running around all day! Look for it here in the next few minutes.

At this point, the factory 81 bumpers is still my plan because I already have them. I'm just considering the 85/86 nose if I can't repair the factory ones i have, but i don't think i'll have an issue repairing them. At a glance they seem to be in decent shape aside from one small tear down at the lower opening on the front bumper. You just don't see 79-82 cars ever! I even tried to google image search them and 99% of the pics are factory cars or pace cars/cobras with the GT bumper.

Reactions: 1 user
Man, if you can save or replace the original bumpers and keep that style grill that would be sweet! It's even got the incredibly hard to find 79 style hood! I'm sorry, but I have to go against the grain on this one and say don't swap styles on the nose. As a guy that had a 79 (and never should have sold it).. I can say they are just too hard to find to turn it into an 85-86. Not that I'm a dumb purist or dislike the 85-86, because I love em.. But you may not fully understand what you have there. Just something to consider. I'd do bad things to have my 79 back.

Edit: Outfreakingstanding car, btw! I love it! :nice:Mine was also an lx hatch with no spoiler, and I kept it that way. People scratched their heads all the time looking at it.