Electrical Proper negative ground location

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
So around 9 months ago I put a new negative and positive batter cable set on as my old ones were garbage and sometimes my car wouldn’t even turn over. They completely fixed the issue but I’m wondering about the correct location for the negative ground. The first picture is where I just relocated it to (it’s where LMR shows putting it) and the second picture is where I’ve had it for 9 months.
921E310A-EF9C-4420-83AF-41D3CFE6F00A.jpeg

74392F53-582D-4703-A79B-2C68F2B883D7.jpeg

I did make sure that the new location was all bare and shiny metal before hand and cleaned it up really nice. Does anyone know which one is actually correct?

• Sponsors (?)

I think its fine where you have it. Any where on the block should be fine but heres a diagram i found

Attachments

• 8989958829c1455ccf30abcd0f41b425.jpg
    8989958829c1455ccf30abcd0f41b425.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 142
20150613_103107.jpg

Here is where mine was when I did a full disassembly on the factory (untouched) engine 6 years ago after I picked my car up. If year matters, 1990 GT

Not starting a feud at all, but let me point out a couple observations.

Putting the cable where it is in my pic, the ground cable has an easy straight path to the battery area.

Installing ground on the starter cable bracket mount (the upper one in the OPs pic and mine) the ground cable needs to bend 90 degrees to point toward battery.

Think about which way the factory would orient a cable with a flat end connector (like the ground is).

I the position the OP has it, his connector is bent 90 degrees up to head toward battery.

Just my observations.

Not starting a feud at all, but let me point out a couple observations.

Putting the cable where it is in my pic, the ground cable has an easy straight path to the battery area.

Installing ground on the starter cable bracket mount (the upper one in the OPs pic and mine) the ground cable needs to bend 90 degrees to point toward battery.

Think about which way the factory would orient a cable with a flat end connector (like the ground is).

I the position the OP has it, his connector is bent 90 degrees up to head toward battery.

Just my observations.
Either place is fine for sure. My original cars owned by me both were in the factory place... Pic 1.
All of them I ever worked on when they were new were in that spot. I just wanted to make sure if someone was searching the forums for where the factory put them, they'd get the right location.

I’m the only person to ever disassemble my car, and it was bolted to the block, not to the timing cover.

I may even have a picture from when I shot pics of all the wiring before I pulled everything apart.

Ok, let me throw a curve ball at ya'll.
First let me say again the top pic is correct for factory stock.
The problem with attaching it to the bolt on the timing cover:
Steel bolt, good but you're putting an aluminum cover that has coolant running through it in between. Setting up corrosion possibility. (Electrolysis is less likely on that bolt but still)
Also think about the cover between the cable and the block, to me that is like putting a butt connector on a wire, it will work but there is a bigger possibility of failure later on.
I also say again that wire looks small to me.
Electricity does not care about bends, you can tie that wire in a knot and it don't care.
Just some thoughts from someone that is not a professional mechanic and is likely more lucky than skillful.

Actually both locations are on the timing cover. The one I am advocating at least the bolt goes into the cast block (there is no coolant at that part of the cover).

The OPs current position is a bolt into the aluminum cover, yes likely near coolant. I stick with my recommendation as per the photo I attached.

You are absolutely correct about that, I now remember a discussion on this same subject and I made basically the same stupid rant and then realized I was incorrect.
But man I made a great argument on baseless facts, this is why most times I post the disclaimer about not being a real mechanic! :doh:

Reactions: 1 user
We've been thru this numerous times. There is no threaded hole at the factory location in the block other than the oil sending unit extension hole. So where could it possibly go? It came from the factory in the timing cover on hundreds of thousands of these cars. There's zero issue with it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user