Pushing Through My Clutch- Transmission Decisions

The new house is great but now we're finding stuff. One of the floor joists below the dining room is cracked about 4ft from an eye in the wood. Its cracked long ways and about 3in up towards the floor. Don't know how the inspector missed that. Smh One of the mirrors in the master bathroom has pushed the basin away and is falling behind it. ( I can fix that ) I want to rip out the jacuzzi anyway. It's a corner unit and we are more of the clawfoot soaker type. The poop room is a plus and an extra door to the his and here double walk in. The shower is small and out dated. Guess a bathroom remodel is coming up.

A home inspector is a waste of money. They don't see anything you can't see with yourself. Glad Linda got you squared away on what you need. You won't go wrong there. Bob's be doing this forever. What clutch are they recommending?

Kurt

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

That's going to be a T56 Magnum.

Kurt
If that's clutch, bell housing, trans, driveshaft, crossmember, etc that's a pretty good deal for a T56 Magnum.

As for the home inspector, I disagree, the right wrong guy is worth nothing, but the right guy can save you thousands, as an electrical contractor I get reports all the time from buyers and sellers, some pick up on things no homeowner would ever know is an issue. I've seen some guys inspect in an hour and some others in 6 hours. A good one knit picks a home and you sort out what is important from there.

Reactions: 1 user
If that's clutch, bell housing, trans, driveshaft, crossmember, etc that's a pretty good deal for a T56 Magnum.

As for the home inspector, I disagree, the right wrong guy is worth nothing, but the right guy can save you thousands, as an electrical contractor I get reports all the time from buyers and sellers, some pick up on things no homeowner would ever know is an issue. I've seen some guys inspect in an hour and some others in 6 hours. A good one knit picks a home and you sort out what is important from there.

I live in Georgia......so. There is no such thing as a right guy here.

Kurt

Nope upgraded tko600...steel sfi bell, clutch, yoke, shifter, and no crossmember. I can modify the one in the car.

Guess she likes you more than she does me.

Ok. Yeah, I guess that's in the same price range as well. That will likely work out better than the Magnum for what you are using it for. You are getting a modified TKO600 for less than the price of a factory T56 Magnum. Bob has to completely take the transmission apart to put the fiber lined blocker rings in to make it shift faster. Replace the factory rubber fork pads with brass ones, replace the aluminum forks with steel ones; little stuff like that. I did all that stuff to my 3550 already, and that price makes sense.

Kurt

Ok. Yeah, I guess that's in the same price range as well. That will likely work out better than the Magnum for what you are using it for. You are getting a modified TKO600 for less than the price of a factory T56 Magnum. Bob has to completely take the transmission apart to put the fiber lined blocker rings in to make it shift faster. Replace the factory rubber fork pads with brass ones, replace the aluminum forks with steel ones; little stuff like that. I did all that stuff to my 3550 already, and that price makes sense.

Kurt

I figure this transmission will be the last 5 speed I buy...unless my legs make me have to get an automatic.

I don't plan on racing it but it's good to know I could if I wanted.

The Dart block will come next...that's only about 3k. I'll have to get it machined but hopefully my current internals will swap over at that time. Then I'll be back at square one with the body. This stuff never ends.

Reactions: 1 users
A home inspector is a waste of money. They don't see anything you can't see with yourself. Glad Linda got you squared away on what you need. You won't go wrong there. Bob's be doing this forever. What clutch are they recommending?

Kurt
No, i’d argue that.

A home inspector pointed out that one of the houses we were attempting to buy in ‘17 had aluminum wiring in it. a stupidly expensive situation to have to fix, and one that would not allow us to insure that house had we tried to buy it. Another home inspector in a different house pointed out that every outlet in another house had open grounds in throughout the place due to the fact that it had been wired w/2 conductor BX cable in the mid 40’s. Had we used one in this house, he may have raised a flag that the french doors that lead to our deck were showing signs of sagging due to a incorrectly flashed deck that was allowing water to infiltrate that wall, and compromise the integrity of it.
But we didn’t. the house “ looked” perfect.

The Dart block comes with a 4.125 bore. That means I'll need a few hundred dollars worth of pistons and rings.

Guess I'll focus on one major thing at a time.

No, i’d argue that.

A home inspector pointed out that one of the houses we were attempting to buy in ‘17 had aluminum wiring in it. a stupidly expensive situation to have to fix, and one that would not allow us to insure that house had we tried to buy it. Another home inspector in a different house pointed out that every outlet in another house had open grounds in throughout the place due to the fact that it had been wired w/2 conductor BX cable in the mid 40’s. Had we used one in this house, he may have raised a flag that the french doors that lead to our deck were showing signs of sagging due to a incorrectly flashed deck that was allowing water to infiltrate that wall, and compromise the integrity of it.
But we didn’t. the house “ looked” perfect.

You can look in the breaker box and take the socket covers off yourself. You don't need a home inspector to do that.

Kurt

I'd love a t56 but it may push past the budget. Just for you I'll call and get a quote from hanlon about it.
Here’s an idea...Dump the clutch, replace it with a torque converter, back it with an auto trans.

1. Stop breaking sht.
2. Go faster.
3. Spend less money.

Even adapting the GM auto trans to a japanese engine, Ill have less money in my trans, than you’ll have tied up in anything that has to have the throttle lifted to facilitate a gear change.
And, in case your answer back is to say, “ I don’t lift when I shift”.....revisit 1and 3.

Here’s an idea...Dump the clutch, replace it with a torque converter, back it with an auto trans.

1. Stop breaking sht.
2. Go faster.
3. Spend less money.

Even adapting the GM auto trans to a japanese engine, Ill have less money in my trans, than you’ll have tied up in anything that has to have the throttle lifted to facilitate a gear change.
And, in case your answer back is to say, “ I don’t lift when I shift”.....revisit 1and 3.

Mike it's just that I really enjoy shifting gears. My 10r80 in the ecoboost has showed me that autos with paddle shifters are fun....but nothing beats shifting a standard shift through the curves. Automatics don't give me the thrill of a real driving experience. I'm not a die hard racer but I like spirited driving on the street. I can't imagine driving this car without the feeling of shifting gears. That would take a lot of fun out of it for me.

I actually mentioned it to the ole' lady...she's said " HELL NO !!! "

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I dont launch mine, i think a stock t5 will hold for me, even if i had 350-450hp. I just clutch kick, break tires, but maybe its just the torque running through the gears.

For instance, you think it would break a t5 500hp car highway roll racing? Or just rolling into the throttle on a 6-800hp car for example.

I dunno about you guys but I don't have any issues scaring the pi** out of myself with a regular ole T5 SD.

Clutches are an issue still and I know better than to crank it in 3rd. Otherwise, my tires are my fuse.

When it breaks well... I'll have to come up with something else.

It's the torque that shears gears. I've had a 347 behind this same T5...with a 100 shot of nitrous. It's still alive and it's a 4cylinder t5. My z spec t5 rounded off the dog teeth on second gear behind the same combo...but could be because of a missed shift. All these years I've been beating the hell out of this thing at times and it still shifts flawlessly.

I always used the tires as the fuse, too. Now I actually want some traction. The T5 would be the weak link. This car is a different animal. I've even been debating about pulling the IRS so I can get some real rubber out back. Mini tub has come into question. If I want to grow this combo, in this car or another, I need a trans that can handle it.

Hanlon told me 6500 for a t56 and everything to swap in a fox.

1. Stop breaking sht.
2. Go faster.
3. Spend less money.

I had friends that went that route. #3 didn't work out for them. They spent a lot of money fixing autos. Can't say the same for myself. I'm on my 5th clutch, and I have had my Tremec tore down to the bucket at least 4 times. Actually, I think it's worth mentioning that 2 of those times were due to cracking the bucket itself, and replacing it.

Kurt

Last edited:
  • Wow
Do y'all think a regular t56 is stronger than a built tko600 ?

I really have always liked the idea of a t56 and now I can't get it out of my mind. If I got one it would have the .50 6th gear....I've got a 3.55 rear gear. Could go 3.73... I need a revolution formula to figure out possible rpm at certain speeds. I usually cruise between 70 and 80mph.