Putting her back together...slowly

white nite

Aug 2, 2008
El Paso TX
I broke the T-5 in my car in the middle of October. I have been racing the car for about a year and a half almost every weekend. I always have speedshifted the car like everyone else who races a stick car and i'm pretty quick at it but one night at the track my dad and i got the bright idea to powershift the car, you know staying in the gas while shifting, that turned out to be a bad idea. As the transmission was making funny noises and 4days later it finally gave up the ghost. That weekend I pulled the transmission out and parked the car on the curb in front of my mom's house. At a shootout at the track my dad and I were out there and while setting up his car for the race we started thinking of what transmission to put in my car: t-56, tko-600, tko-500, we couldn't figure out what to go with. We started talking to a friend of my dad's about it and he said why don't you think about putting a toploader in it, it was a good option, i just didn't know if it was possible but my dad told me people were doing that alot when the foxbodies came out. I raced my dad's car that weekend and after breaking the rearend in it in qualifying I wasn't feeling to good about myself since I just broke two cars in two weeks, we limped the car on home and when we got there i started looking online if there was anything about putting toploaders in foxbodies and there definitely was: i found quite a few forum threads of people who had done it and i found a few websites that were offering instructions on how to do it. The easiest set of instructions i found was at davidkeetoploaders.com. It said that if you use a McLeod or Lakewood conversion bellhousing they will allow you to retain your stock clutch, flywheel, and cable clutch assembly, and the perfect toploader is one that is 24in long from tip of tailshaft to surface where the bellhousing bolts to it and has wide ratio gears and it said to run a Hurst Competition plus shifter. The only mods would be to take the stock trans crossmember and cut the welds holding the middle to the outer bushing barrel mounts and putting the middle as far forward on the barrels as you can and cutting the curve out of the arm of the Comp Plus shifter and re-welding it. I'm going to follow it most of the way but not so up to the shifter mod though, i think i'm going to run the Verti-gate shifter that my dad's got. luckily I bought most of everything I needed before I got laid-off from work. Well i've got the right bellhousing and the right trans so everything is coming together...slowly.

DSCF0247.jpg

Ram billet steel flywheel and Zoom kevlar clutch
DSCF0235.jpg

Lakewood blowproof steel bellhousing: this is the main part of this conversion. Lakewood makes this bellhousing specifically to allow you to put a toploader into a foxbody Ford
DSCF0240.jpg

The old T-5
DSCF0243.jpg

The new/old Doug Nash clutchless toploader that my dad had in storage for over 20 years. took it to a trans shop and found out it wasn't clutchless
DSCF0246.jpg

I pulled center console out so when i get the new trans and shifter in there i can see if i have to cut the shifter hole anywhere to make the shifter fit
DSCF0251.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

yes a toploader is a 4speed. even though my car is a daily driver i do drag race it every weekend, so my gas mileage will suffer but i will have a stronger transmission in the long run for those weekend beatings and future engine mods

picked up the transmission on friday from the trans shop

DSCF04.jpg

went to my dad's friend's shop friday afternoon to make a new mounting plate that goes in between the trans and trans mount

DSCF05.jpg

my dad and i put everything in the car today

DSCF02.jpg

DSCF06.jpg

DSCF09.jpg

looks like i won't need to cut up the floor to put a shifter in

DSCF014.jpg

now i just need to get a shifter and a driveshaft spacer and a longer speedo cable

All the money and parts in the world won't make any T5 as strong as an "average" top-loader. Ecxellent choice there, if you don't need overdrive. The reason the Tremec's are so strong is they are built similar to the top-loaders. I used to run top-loaders in my older stangs and mavs. I NEVER lifted off the gas while shifting. Top loaders can handle it. I still have a couple of them just in case I need a tranny someday and don't have money for a Tremec.

my dad ordered a Hurst Super Street shifter, Super Street install kit, T-handle shifter, shifter boot, and back up light switch and they came in earlier this week.

we went ahead and put it all in last night

these are spacers that go in between the trans and the shifter mounting bracket

DSCF0292.jpg

but since i didn't want the shifter to be on my seat we left them out and bent up the shifter rods so we wouldn't use the spacers

DSCF0287.jpg

DSCF0288.jpg

we had to trim the trans tunnel a little bit but the shifter will still fit under the stock center console...barely

DSCF0280.jpg

fitted a hurst shifter boot to the stock shifter boot bezel

DSCF0291.jpg

now all i need to do is put the interior back in it and get it registered and inspected and she will be done!!

yeah once i get it running and take it back to the dragstrip i'm going to see what rpm the motor is at when i cross the finish line then my dad and i will figure out what gears to put in it and we'll also put 31 spline axles in it

Looks great! I did the same thing in a 90 GT after my T5 took a dump and I read about it in a mag. I loved the toploader. Takes some tweaking to get the shifter perfect but well worth it if you don't mind no OD.

i don't mind no OD at all. 'ill just have to putt putt around like an old fart to save a little gas

got the interior back in it. now i need to put oil in the trans, wire up the back up light switch and put the x-pipe back in and get the tags

DSCF0299.jpg

DSCF0297.jpg