Putting my engine together

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
Just got my shortblock back from the machine shop. It's a .030 over 306, forged pistons, stock crank. I had them assemble the rotating assembly and I am putting the rest together. I need to order my heads still, going with the Trick Flow 11R 190 heads, and at some point in the not too distant future an S-Trim will be added.

Unwrapping

OtYjUs.jpg

7oajc5.jpg

GuySCn.jpg

Putting it together

Hq92xM.jpg

NqCjL3.jpg

Chris

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

This engine will go in my 93 coupe. I am using this intake....Yeah, I know..there are many better intakes etc. but this is a street car only, and I love the GT40 intakes.

GDrXVu.jpg

The lower is a true 1994 Cobra lower for what it's worth..

39W30X.jpg

For a cam...Trick Flow Stage 1. Again I know I will probably hear it, but I have run this cam before, and I kinda like it...and here is the catch... I already had this cam....brand new and the cost is climbing on this build so I had to do what I had to do. I can only hide so much money from my wife. :) My Pimpxs and that tuner dude that hangs around here from time to time will be able to make this car idle and perform...he has done it before with my current engine.

I have ARP head studs, and the majority of the fasteners are ARP.

Chris

Last edited:
  • Drool
Reactions: 9 users
And they say I am a 'collector'!!
I do wish the ac hose didn't cut across the top corner, I've thought about getting the hose modified with a nice right angle to clean it up, that shouldn't effect the efficiency. RIght?

That intake looks ported. GT40 intakes are really good across the board. Tmoss advertises 250cfm after port work. However, if you are sticking with that intake, and putting an S-trim on it, and you haven't ordered the heads yet, you might look into a cheaper head since the intake isn't going to support an 11R 190 anyway.

Kurt

I do wish the ac hose didn't cut across the top corner, I've thought about getting the hose modified with a nice right angle to clean it up, that shouldn't effect the efficiency. RIght?
I don’t think so. I don’t think they make a longer one though. Nice GT40’s @Mstng93SSP! Wish I had one!

That intake looks ported. GT40 intakes are really good across the board. Tmoss advertises 250cfm after port work. However, if you are sticking with that intake, and putting an S-trim on it, and you haven't ordered the heads yet, you might look into a cheaper head since the intake isn't going to support an 11R 190 anyway.

Kurt

Based on budget I could save about $400 by going with the TFS 170 heads. I just wonder if I will regret it.

Chris

Based on budget I could save about $400 by going with the TFS 170 heads. I just wonder if I will regret it.

Chris

I guess that all depends on what you want to do with the car, if you would ever consider swapping that intake later, etc. We did the GT40x heads on the Cobra. They flow 249cfms, and the Cobra intake ported maxes out at 250cfms. It's a Ford head, everything bolts up perfect out of the box. The TF 170cc head flows 257cfm out of the box which is right there too. It's only going to make as much power as the tightest restriction. And hell, if you are putting an S-trim on it anyway, it won't matter.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user

Chris
I’d still get the 11r. The valvetrain is a step in the right direction as opposed to the fast as cast 170s. The 190Cc Has more modern valvetrain as far as spring diameter and valve stem diameter. They’re a good head to grow with.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't you go to a place that makes hydraulic hoses and have a longer one made?

Can't you go to a place that makes hydraulic hoses and have a longer one made?
we deal with an ac shop that does a lot of hose repairs for us, I will be talking to them when the time comes and I'll update the boring thread I have going that two or three people keep up with if only to see me catch something on fire at some point.

• Haha
I guess that all depends on what you want to do with the car, if you would ever consider swapping that intake later, etc. We did the GT40x heads on the Cobra. They flow 249cfms, and the Cobra intake ported maxes out at 250cfms. It's a Ford head, everything bolts up perfect out of the box. The TF 170cc head flows 257cfm out of the box which is right there too. It's only going to make as much power as the tightest restriction. And hell, if you are putting an S-trim on it anyway, it won't matter.

Kurt

In one of my convertibles I have the Ford x306 aluminium heads and a XE264HR-14 cam. I can't say anything bad about those heads. They have performed well in that car. As far as intakes go, I have a trick flow on my coupe right now. I know it performs better than the tubular gt40, but I am just over the look of it. No offense to anyone using one. I am going to sell mine to recoup some of the cash I have laid out for this engine.

20200116_095751.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know that you really need the 11R heads if you are going to use a vortech and there is no future plans for a better block.

Love the GT40 but I hate the cover plate. When I ran it I never used the cover.