PWM Fan controller - Need help/clarity on a purchase

It doesn't vary the voltage, it varies the duty cycle of the voltage, i.e. square wave, 0-12V
1. PWM = Pulse Width Modulation as in the sentence above. Why? Variable speed control.
2. Not necessarily, but is usually part of the design of a PWM controller. It is referred to as a "soft start".
3. Google the part number.
There are 4 main types of DC motors:
  • Permanent Magnet DC Motors. The permanent magnet motor uses a permanent magnet to create field flux. ...
  • Series DC Motors. In a series DC motor, the field is wound with a few turns of a large wire carrying the full armature current. ...
  • Shunt DC Motors. ...
  • Compound DC Motors.
4. When you want to vary the speed according to temperature.
5. Don't know what you know or don't know.
6. If it's variable speed, it's PWM. Variable as in ~10 rpm to max rpm & anywhere in between.

BTW#1, this is not an online class in electrical engineering even if I am qualified to teach it, which I am (LOL).
Google "PWM dc electric motor", then you can teach the class.
1st hit on Google:

BTW#2 Electric cars use AC motors. The battery voltage must be converted from DC to AC. Speed control is not PWM.
The two primary ways to control the speed of a single-phase AC motor is to either change the frequency of the line voltage the motor sees or by changing the voltage seen by the motor, thereby changing the rotational speed of the motor.
Electric cars & all industrial equipment use 3-phase electric motors. Lesson #2, some other time.

BTW#3 Your alternator is a poly-phase (more than 3) generator. A motor can be a generator & a generator an become a motor. Electricity can create magnetism & conversely, magnetism can create electricity. High school physics.

Ahhh... yes yes yes. Please disregard my previous post. Too many projects to think about for the relatively small number of marbles I have to work with. :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

On behalf of the members and stall here at, ummm, oh yeah, stangnet.com you are welcome.
We cannot do this without people like you asking for help and advice on fixing and modifying these cars, enthusiasts like you are very important to this site. Without you we would be just another place to post cat videos and pics of what we had for lunch so keep those questions coming and don't forget to tip your waitress and bartenders.

BTW, you are late with your membership dues

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user
I have been running my fans with two 30amp fuses and 40 amp relays...one high...one low... controlled pull down with ms2. I also have an over ride switch to ground. The 40amp relays I have do have diodes. No issues yet. Maybe i should upgrade :shrug:

On my multimeter I think they read 17 or 18amps running.

I have been running my fans with two 30amp fuses and 40 amp relays...one high...one low... controlled pull down with ms2. I also have an over ride switch to ground. The 40amp relays I have do have diodes. No issues yet. Maybe i should upgrade :shrug:

On my multimeter I think they read 17 or 18amps running.
Depends on the fan. You could just upgrade to the Bosch motor relays.
P/N # 0-332-002-156
Amazon product ASIN B004AFWZ1IView: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Automotive-0332002156-Relay/dp/B004AFWZ1I

Last edited:
Wow.. Look at this thread now..lol

PS- i did go w/ the FK45 - per Brian's recommendation.
His controller quality and operation are second to none. I have the FK-75 on my Contour fans. If he didn't recommend it, you'll need the input filter with the low impedance contour fans. It's just and electrolytic capacitor, and you can get one from your local electronics store if you did't order it. I can find the value if you need it.