Pypes exhaust?

Brett88lx

Sep 3, 2006
Hey guys. I recently finished bringing my car back to life and realized I'm going to need a new catback very soon since my thousand year old flowmasters are almost rusted through(still sounds badass though).

Has anyone had personal experience with Pypes exhaust? Particulary their violater setup? They look pretty nice on their site but I want to know how they compare to Flowmasters or any other catback. How loud are they? Do they sound good?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

Had Pypes Violators on mine, loved the sound. Only problems I had were more as a result of my crappy cat'ed UPR X-pipe and obnoxious alignment/fitment problems with the tailpipes. The Violator muffs are about an inch longer than most muffs, so you might need to saw off a bit of length from your tails or flow tubes before installing to make everything fit in there right.

Also, I wouldn't recommend their X-pipes, as they don't have hangers. That was another main reason I ditched my UPR X-pipe, since the lack of hangers made the thing sag and then scrape/drag on every little bump on the road. Kept having to jack the thing up and re-tighten it every other week.

The sound on 'em is killer, however. Check my videos on MySpace and I've got some audio of my old setup with the Violators and UPR cat'ed X-pipe.

Darkwriter77 said:
Had Pypes Violators on mine, loved the sound. Only problems I had were more as a result of my crappy cat'ed UPR X-pipe and obnoxious alignment/fitment problems with the tailpipes. The Violator muffs are about an inch longer than most muffs, so you might need to saw off a bit of length from your tails or flow tubes before installing to make everything fit in there right.

Also, I wouldn't recommend their X-pipes, as they don't have hangers. That was another main reason I ditched my UPR X-pipe, since the lack of hangers made the thing sag and then scrape/drag on every little bump on the road. Kept having to jack the thing up and re-tighten it every other week.

The sound on 'em is killer, however. Check my videos on MySpace and I've got some audio of my old setup with the Violators and UPR cat'ed X-pipe.

Thanks my man. They really don't fit right? Because I hate when tips stick out the rear bumper.

It wasn't so much the tips poking out the back as it was the over-the-axle arch of the pipes being so far back that they were rubbing against and burning through the fuel lines coming out of my fuel tank. :eek:

It was bad enough that the UPR X-pipe was about 1" longer than most, to start with; with the Pypes mufflers being another 1" longer than the norm, the added length just made things a major headache. I dunno, I still have my Violators on hand and they're in near-perfect shape still (along with my tailpipes), so eventually I might wind up putting them back on behind the Jeg's X-pipe ... but not until I get another place where it's "legal" to work on my car. (Damn these Homeowners' Association rules...)

I don't really fault the mufflers at all for that, though - I should've noted the length difference when I was removing those Dynomax Super Turbos in the first place and trimmed the flow tubes accordingly. Another detail to consider is that the Violators, like a lot of other brands, don't have hanger mounts welded directly onto the mufflers, so you'll likely have to invest in a couple of bolt-on hangers from Autozone. No big deal, and they're easy to clamp into place, it's just something you don't want to forget before you go trying to bolt everything up.

Oh, and pay special attention to which direction you have the mufflers facing when you install them. They ARE reversible, and putting them with the louvers facing the wrong way will make them quieter than you'll likely want 'em to sound. (I put mine with the louvers swept back for the louder tone. No regrets.)