quad shock help needed!

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
I needed to replace the stock quads on my 91 gt, they where pretty much gone. I'm running 93 cobra wheels 17x8.5 and 255x40 tires which fit with stock quads even though it was close.

I picked up some kyb kg4521 shocks which is the part # for quads for mustangs, no go, the wheels won't go on and this is with the shocks flipped :mad: . ford no longer list them for this year but they do for 98 and up. places like steeda and such list quads for mustangs up to 2004.

my ? is will the later year ones from ford work? the pics of them on ebay look like the older stock ones from older foxes. I need the smaller shock body and skinny arm to clear. has anyone used the bilstien ones are they close to oems? the kybs are to damn fat. also the kybs will be in the classifieds for 50% off never used just mounted, doubt I'll get my money back after mounting them.

• Sponsors (?)

so the metal housing over the steel rod is the dust cover? how far up do you cut it, just under the under the mount. this doesn't mess the shock up? just making sure before I go cutting into it.

removing it may reduce the life of the shock a little by allowing dirt and debis to more easily get onto the shaft, and possible cause problems ith the seal, but its not somthing i'm worried about. it should be good for years. and since you planned on selling them for 1/2 price anyways, you dont really have much to lose. i cut quite a bit off, i just mounted the shock, put my tire on, then determined where it was rubbing and marked it. i plan on going back and cutting the whole cover off, as it still rubs under hard cornering. remember that the shock will move when you put the car down, so remember to cut futher to compensate.... hope this helps

Thanks for the help, I'll probally just cut it up high and not have to worry about it. the car isn't a dd and won't see rain or winter so I'll probally get decent life out of it, i was more worried about it blowing out or something.

it would be nice to know for the future though if the later model ones will work, I can get them through my buddy at ford for $27 and would give us more options. never thought of it until I ran into this problem about the newer model mustangs for quads, oh well. I'm sure this will work out fine for now, thanks again.

255-40's... that tire's a little wide for an 8.5 inch rim don't ya' think? I'd love to see a pic of one of those wheels/tires. If the tread width is wider than the rim width, then that means the side wall is not straight up and down like it should be. I bet the sidewall is pulled in to get behind the lip of the rim... not a good idea. 245-45-17 is about as big a tire I'd put on that rim if it were me. I guess what I'm saying is, if you had the proper size tire on that rim, you wouldn't have these clearance issues.