question about 86 f150 5.0 and cam options

Tanner,

What I am suggesting is that he put on some long tubes and gears and get the most gain for the least cash and struggle.
i agree with you 100% here. you will gain more "seat of the pants power" this way then you will trying to deal with everything that goes along with a cam swap, especially on an f150 that probably wont see more mods.

What others are suggesting is that he swap blocks just so he can swap cams. This is crazy.
agreed, no need to put that much work into a truck unless your legitimately trying to make it faster.

There are several cam manufacturers that have off the shelf flat tappet truck cams known to be SD friendly for Ford trucks.

So what if he has to be more careful on break in with the flat tappet. Get some good lube and break in oil and go to town.

The OP would be wise to ask this same question at F150 dot net. Plenty of guys over there that have done what he is trying to do with their stock blocks.
:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

OKay, I'm learning now! YAYYY!!! I really can't afford to drop the money into another block right now. I feel that I will be satisfied with putting worked E7 heads on the block I have a gt-40 intake manifold, my longtube headers and a flat tappet cam. Sounds pretty sexy to me. :D

Would that be a pretty reliable decent motor, aside from the cam wear?

Thanks guy's I really appreciate all the help and patience! Gotta get it right the first time so I can go bigger next time!

i have a 1990 f-150 5.0 that had a cracked head, i scored a 1988 h.o. mustang motor on the cheap with a 1995 mustang cam, i put it in my f-150 with the truck externals... runs GREAT! only problem is the idle surges a little, due to the stock truck ECU not being compatable with the mustang cam.

Mike,

Bump the timing to about 12 degrees and follow the "setting base idle" checklist. This resolved the hunting idle issuses that I first had with the mustang cam and f150 computer.

Good luck...

Mike,

Bump the timing to about 12 degrees and follow the "setting base idle" checklist. This resolved the hunting idle issuses that I first had with the mustang cam and f150 computer.

Good luck...

well, ive got the timing on about 14 already and the idle thing is not a big deal, it only does it in park, not in gear and my truck doesnt sit still in park much. :D thanks though.