Question About Possible Engine Damage.

Was Driving down a fairly busy street today, and all of the sudden my Check Battery Light comes on, I lost steering and brakes(They were so hard to control took my entire weight on the brakes to stop it) I had to drive the car approx 1.5 miles to get a place to safely pull over, by the time I do, I am getting massive steam from the engine. Open the hood and its a broke serpentine belt, the damn thing is just shredded. My question is, will running a new engine like this (less than 400 miles) for approx 1.5 miles at 30-40 mph have any adverse affects on my engine? The car is under warrenty and I want any possible problem resulting from this to be fixed properly. Any input would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt if you did anything major if you only ran it for a minute or so just to get pulled off the road. Sounds like like something seized if the belt was all chewed up. You're no doubt under warranty so I wouldn't worry too much, they'll cover whatever's wrong.

Spazilton said:
No my question was is there the possiblity of engine damage from no coolent circulating because the water pump wasnt being driven. I had to drive it for around 1.5 miles to get it to a safe place to stop.

i doubt your car got hot enough to damage anything in that short of period of time. so did it get hot on the gauge in the car, or did you notice??????

First I noticed that the check battery light was on, I was on a straight stretch of road for a little bit so I didnt need to really steer or use my breaks, I thought maybe something had shorted out the electrictal system(Just had it in the dealer yesterday to replace a broken wire in the wiring harness to the power mirrors) I was less than 4 miles from home, when I got to the first stop light, I noticed I couldnt steer or brake without massive effort. Thats when I knew I needed to get to a safe place to stop. I had to drive around 1.5 miles (35-40mph didnt tach it over 2500) When I got to the final light to make the turn the steam was POURING out from under the hood. I made the turn(It wasnt easy steering was almost locked took 2 arms and a lot of effort) and pulled into a gas station Popped the hood coolant was everywhere. The belt was shredded for lack of a better term. When I stopped the car the coolant gague was high, but not near the red maybe 1/4 of an inch over from where it normally sits. Thats when I called Roadside assistance and waited for 3.5 friggin hours for a tow truck.... Just a tad paranoid about my new baby :nice:

yeah, souds like it's just one of those freak things. i have mine at ford right now for a freak think in the tranny. i wouldn't worry about it though, that should be a easy fix & you should have it by monday hopefully.

btw-don't you love how it takes roadside assistance 3.5 hrs. to get there when they tell you, they will be there in one hour :mad: they did it to me the first time i called to have it towed, i finally called the wrecker & told them forget it, called ford & told them to get someone else, cause ford called people OUT OF STATE to come get the car :nonono:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I built my motor for my camaro, I was driving it for about 3 or 4 days, and I was at a friends house with my car running outside. I was in there for about 10 or 20 min. and their mom come up to me and says "is your car suppose to be smoking from the hood like that?" and I ran outside and was like :eek: :jaw: :eek: I ran over and jumped through my window to turn it off and looked at my oil pressure and water temp. Oil was fine, but my water gauge was pegged all the over as far as it would go and it reads all the over to about 420* or so. I was about to $h!t my pants and I threw the hood open and water was spraying every where out of my overfill for the radiator. I waited about 10 min. or so for it to stop and filled it up with water again. At that point I thought that it was all over. All my hard work and weeks on end spending 15 to 18 hrs in the garage in the winter restoring this car and doing all the work myself. Well, I filled it up with water and turned the key on to see what the temp was...it was still all the way over, but I noticed my fan wasn't on. Well, turns out my fuse blew and the fan cut off. Seems that I was mistakenly put the wrong fuse in it so I put in a new one and started it up........ held my breath and all seemed fine. Temp was ok and oil pressure was normal. So I walked over in their yard and :puke: