question about spark plug gap?

i bought a new set of plugs and wires. and they guy at the part store say that the motorcraft plugs that i bought were pre-gap. :bs: they were all between .50 and .55.
but then the ones that i took out of the car were at .35

so what should the gap be at? whats the stock gap, and would it make a difference since i have aluminum heads and a mild cam?

Thanks
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

55 or so is the stock gap for the stock plug.

I would kinda want to make sure the plug is for the alum. head...he may have assumed you just need a stock plug that will not work with alum. heads in most cases.

Most people run a 35 gap with a higher compression, boost, or bottle to help stop spark blow out.

55 or so is the stock gap for the stock plug.

I would kinda want to make sure the plug is for the alum. head...he may have assumed you just need a stock plug that will not work with alum. heads in most cases.

Most people run a 35 gap with a higher compression, boost, or bottle to help stop spark blow out.

Very true, sorry, my plugs are Autolite 3924's for the AFR's

Alot of people have good luck with the autolite 3924's and such with alum. heads.

The plug diff. is that the stock plug is a tapper fit...look at were the threads end you will see an angle. That angle fits snug into the heads plug location. The alum. heads tend to need a gasket style plug. These plugs have a large flat area that has a "crunch" gasket or metal o-ring that seals it to the alum. head. Tapper fit plugs look like toothpics compared to the gasket style plugs that look like sumo wrestlers by comparo.

I'd be sure to use antiseize with alum heads as well.

And yes, always check your gaps.

Good luck.

We just today had a car on the dyno that was misfiring at higher RPMs. The plugs were brand new but we did not install them. We pulled them and gapped them at 0.035 - they were 0.055 and the problem went away.
Don