Question on multi-vacuum connector at right wheelwell/firewall

alchemist

Jul 14, 2019
north carolina
Upon changing out my PCV yesterday, both a black hard plastic and a white hard plastic vacuum line fractured. The black line was going to the rear intake and the white one to the EGR. Due to needing to get on the road quickly, I 'surgically removed' the two connector fragments from the 5-connector piece near the firewall/passenger side wheelwell. I put on 7/64 tubing on the plastic straight tube and ran it a length, followed by a 'step up' connector, to a 7/32 tube, to the EGR and back of intake. The 7/32 tubing took the place of the L-shaped OEM piece that connected the vacuum connection on the EGR/intake to the little plastic line.

Question. If i go back to hard plastic (not sure i will - it's a bastard to work with), can someone give me the Ford part number of the black rubber 5- connector fitting that goes to the plastic male-male piece, on the engine side? I might go back, so need that part number please. Or maybe LMR or aftermarket might make it??

• Sponsors (?)

Upon changing out my PCV yesterday, both a black hard plastic and a white hard plastic vacuum line fractured. The black line was going to the rear intake and the white one to the EGR. Due to needing to get on the road quickly, I 'surgically removed' the two connector fragments from the 5-connector piece near the firewall/passenger side wheelwell. I put on 7/64 tubing on the plastic straight tube and ran it a length, followed by a 'step up' connector, to a 7/32 tube, to the EGR and back of intake. The 7/32 tubing took the place of the L-shaped OEM piece that connected the vacuum connection on the EGR/intake to the little plastic line.

Question. If i go back to hard plastic (not sure i will - it's a bastard to work with), can someone give me the Ford part number of the black rubber 5- connector fitting that goes to the plastic male-male piece, on the engine side? I might go back, so need that part number please. Or maybe LMR or aftermarket might make it??
forgot to add, this is my 91 LX, with 5.0L

Not sure this is what your looking for but take a look... it’s used and expensive but if so, here is the whole harness with the rubber 5 connector. It’s on eBay...
It’s the connector with the Solenoids, etc.
A2842A3C-D933-4007-AFB3-1650D5770BD6.png

congrats on the work, search, & choice. I see so many sweep a hand over the bay clawin out these parts sayin "I don't want any of this crap!" missunderstanding, before tossing over their shoulder. Thinking removal is "pollution controll" not understanding how the vehicle can run better (performance = MPGs and pep).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
correct, you guys got it. Its the latter one on ebay pictured. I guess i can keep the surgically repaired one for awhile, as i kept the 90 degree 'ends' and if i ever see one at a salvage yard, i'll grab it. Do the 4 cylinders also have this same setup?

do u need the black connecter or can u run lines with out it has been my isssue

You don't need the connector, as long as you put fittings on your lines that are snug and won't leak when hooking it up to the other side. You also have to make sure the right lines are going to the right places. The connector just makes it easy for mechanics etc to disconnect and reconnect the lines properly without having to think about it or examine where everything is going. Also the way those black connectors are manufactured/assembled, you can't remove the existing lines from them and swap out with new tubing. So you're left with splices down/upstream of there or will have to toss them eventually anyways. Additionally with age IMHO, it becomes nearly impossible to rule out those rubber connectors as vacuum leak culprits, especially since you can't remove the tubing and inspect inside/inbetween them.

Several of my vacuum lines have cracked and I've just had to replace them one by one, and become very familiar with the vacuum diagram during the process!

You don't need the connector, as long as you put fittings on your lines that are snug and won't leak when hooking it up to the other side. You also have to make sure the right lines are going to the right places. The connector just makes it easy for mechanics etc to disconnect and reconnect the lines properly without having to think about it or examine where everything is going. Also the way those black connectors are manufactured/assembled, you can't remove the existing lines from them and swap out with new tubing. So you're left with splices down/upstream of there or will have to toss them eventually anyways. Additionally with age IMHO, it becomes nearly impossible to rule out those rubber connectors as vacuum leak culprits, especially since you can't remove the tubing and inspect inside/inbetween them.

Several of my vacuum lines have cracked and I've just had to replace them one by one, and become very familiar with the vacuum diagram during the process!
I went to the junk yard and got tons of the plastic vacuum lines I have to see what goes to what again but should the one way blue check vavle be at the bottom of the strut tower or coming off the back of the intake I had it running good last night with long lines but it couldn't stay like that so I switch lines and it's acting up again

ok can't anyone tell if theses are running right I look at the diagram and mine was hooked up differently I'll attach pics and what one is the fpr vacuum coming off the back of the intake the one next to the brake vacuum or the one closer to the passanger side

Attachments

• 16506431501275231746855630691541.jpg
    16506431501275231746855630691541.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 16506433406539092334899237560280.jpg
    16506433406539092334899237560280.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 66
Don't you guys have wrecking yards close?
I could buy all that vacuum harness for 5 bucks or less at one of the 3 yards that are close to me
Plus you sometimes find tools and something else you need
Fixing it back stock including the correct vacuum tubing colors will sure be a plus in the long run
If it ever gets to the dealer or a pro they are not going to want to chase down black rubber hoses to see whats up

I could buy all that vacuum harness for 5 bucks or less at one of the 3 yards that are close to me
Fixing it back stock including the correct vacuum tubing colors will sure be a plus in the long run
If it ever gets to the dealer or a pro they are not going to want to chase down black rubber hoses to see whats up
I got so many lines the other day every ford truck or explorer I grabbed vacuum lines

Attachments

• 16507188470696667630356648122149.jpg
    16507188470696667630356648122149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
can u tell me if this is in the right plugs

Attachments

• 16507191487113315968706690185456.jpg
    16507191487113315968706690185456.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 53
I just wanted to let everyone know I found a full vacuum harness from my buddy I met on Facebook marketplace and it runs , have to get gas but what's the best way to block off the tube coming off my h pipe that would connect to the smog pipe I have heater hose and 2 clamps on it sounds like a leak

Reactions: 1 user