questions about Patriot Stage III 4.6L heads

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 01 gt with patriot stg 2 heads and a set of comp cams part # 102600. I installed all of it myself and have had no problems with the heads at all. The only complaint I have is that when I switched from romeo to windsor heads I knew I needed windsor valve covers but I didn't know I needed to buy windsor front cover bolts also. But that was only a minor delay and now partiot makes there heads in a romeo cast also so if I had waited about 6 more months to do them I wouln't have had any delays at all.

I left the motor in the car when I did the heads and cams. As far a motor mods I have BBK LT headsers, custom o/r x, custom flowmaster cat back, BBK CAI, patriot heads, cams and a sct excal 2 tune. It made 308hp on a mustang dyno with all these mods and it made 198hp when it was stock on the same dyno. I have tons of other mods to the tranny, suspension and axle but very few to the motor. I hope this helps.

wow, you only made 198hp stock with an 01 gt?? that seems low to me. idk, so when you did the swap about how long did it take? i assume you have to take the whole front engine cover off, but do you have to dissconnect the headers from the block to pull the heads up? id do headers at the same time anyways, but am wondering if i could drop them in instead of working from under the car.

The #'s are low because its on a mustang dyno. It took me 3 weekends because I pulled everything apart before the heads and cams got to me. Then I started the install of them the next, got it about half way back together and realized I needed different bolts so I had to wait another week to finish it. If I had had all the parts when I started I probly could have easily gotten it all done in 2 weekends. As far as the headers I have LT headers and I had to drop them before I could pull the heads. But I've heard that if you have the stock manifolds or shorty headers you can pull them out the top with the heads but thats just what I heard. Whether thats true or not I dont know.

GTCharles said:
The #'s are low because its on a mustang dyno. It took me 3 weekends because I pulled everything apart before the heads and cams got to me. Then I started the install of them the next, got it about half way back together and realized I needed different bolts so I had to wait another week to finish it. If I had had all the parts when I started I probly could have easily gotten it all done in 2 weekends. As far as the headers I have LT headers and I had to drop them before I could pull the heads. But I've heard that if you have the stock manifolds or shorty headers you can pull them out the top with the heads but thats just what I heard. Whether thats true or not I dont know.

did you need any special tools to do the install. i did my cams myself in a day, so i know about the basic tools and fuel line disconnect tool, and i guess ill need to pull the crank pulley off again, but what about the rest?

Its pretty much all the same tools. I'd recommend you buy the frpp install kit for the heads because it comes with some chunks of hose with slits in them to hold the back bolts up as you remove and install the heads because you cant get some of them in or out with the motor in the car. I removed mine before I had the kit and fought with the heads and those bolts to get them out. But they slid in so easily with them.