Questions on removing the smog pump and related stuff.

GRGT1994

Sep 22, 2004
Could someone describe the benefits and issues related to using a smog pump delete? I am guessing this would let you pull those ugly pipes from over the headers on the passenger side, and the pipe connecting the heads together at the back of the motor.

But what are the issues and concerns with doing this?

• Sponsors (?)

No issues AT ALL .... unless you have emissions testing.

Trashing the smog stuff can reduce a little weight, take load off the engine, clean your engine bay up, and help you tremendously when changing spark plugs.

The benefit of the pulley method (vs. just running a short belt) are that you don't have to worry about guessing what size belt, belts coming off, maxing the tensioner, looks, etc. If you do it, definitely get the pulley.

Greg, Since it appears that you have cats, I cant say I would recommend ditching the AIR pump. Then again, were it not for the certain someone that posted between your post and mine, I might not be running one either. :(

Haha .... I'm with JT as well. I didn't think about the cats.

BUT ..... here we go again on the "aftermarket cats" thing. I see you have a catted BBK pipe. Some a/m cats are supposedly made to work well without air injection. :shrug:

Justin, did you see Willys's thread in 5.0 Tech some time back (I thought you posted on it, but I dont recall for sure)? The Magnaflow guy said the pump was not necessary, so me thinks you're right. :nice:

I gotta say that I still feel funny about it (esp if one happens to run rich at times, like my fox does). Bottom line for me was needing the pump for emissions and not wantin to leave it idle for 364 days a year. It sounds like our situations are not quite analogous though.

Yeah ... I remember posting in that thread.

I'm thinking the same thing as you ..... I would never run cats without the pump .... no matter what the manufacturer says.

I'll not make any recommendations Greg. I just wanted to post the pro's/cons of doing it & maybe throw a tip in there. Ultimately, it all depends on what the law states in your area & what you want to do. Personally, I like to somewhat keep the environment in mind. If I was driving my car more than like 5 times a month ..... I probably wouldn't have done the delete. I don't take the Stang out a lot anymore. But that's all personal preference.

Justin, it's because you rotate which car you drive every day. Let's see, 15 cars per 30 days - c'mon, you drive the stang twice a month. :D

Are you guys saying it would be bad to run cats without the air pump, or just that the cats won't do their job as well without it? I already have the catted mid pipe so it's not an expense issue as to whether I buy that.

By the way, it's Brad. GRGT is for my home town (Grand Rapids) and my Mustang GT.

HISSIN50 said:
Justin, it's because you rotate which car you drive every day. Let's see, 15 cars per 30 days - c'mon, you drive the stang twice a month. :D

Haha .... seems like it. The company car (for short) is all that really gets driven.

JT .... you got me callin' him by a wrong name! :D J/K .... I would have thought the same, just by looking at his SN.

Okay Brad, stock catalytic converters will not work right when no smog pump is used. They will clog ..... causing you a bad problem. Some aftermarket companies that sell catted pipes will claim that their cats will function properly without the pump. I know of NO ONE doing this .... but the guy JT mentioned earlier (willys) is in the process of doing it I think. I could not tell you if it will work or not. I would, just to stay safe, either take the cats AND the smog pump out .... or leave them both in.

SeventyMach1 said:
Okay Brad, stock catalytic converters will not work right when no smog pump is used. They will clog ..... causing you a bad problem.
Thanks for the followup. BTW, what kind of bad problem are you thinking of?

Brad, I thought when you were undercover on SN you were Greg. :D Seriously, my sincere apologies - I hate it when someone calls me the wrong name. I dont know where I got Greg (I thought I had once seen you post it, but you dont post your name often on threads that I see. I thought GR were your initials). There's a 5.0 Tech guy who calls me TJ so dont feel too bad.

WHen the cats clog up, it's like someone shoved a banana up your tailpipe (literally). Performance will take a dump, and a big worry to me is the cat getting red hot and starting a fire (BMW 2002 owners know what Im talkin about - smoldering back seat carpet, etc).

I'm still thinking about the whole smog pump/catless midpipe thing. But I tend to agree that if I go no emissions, might as well go whole hog. Thanks for the insights. And a few quetions on that. . . If I go without emissions, is the car gonna start smelling like gas - or generally stinking? Any other concerns with running without emissions?

BTW, no swet about the name. I think you might have called me Greg once before, and I didn't correct you because I wasn't sure whether you were talking to me or some other poster. So the confusion is my fault. No worries.