QUICK help with 76mm mass air and cold air kit

projectfiveo

Aug 30, 2005
ok i have a c&l 76mm mass air meter ordered for my 19lbers...well i was just told that i cant use my already installed cold air fender mount with it??? cause of the bend in the tube, they said it will cause rough idle and wont run right and i would loose power...so do any of you have this same setup?? they told me the only way i could use it is if i used my factory air box with the silencer removed...which i sold when i bought the cold air kit.

• Sponsors (?)

HAd the same prob,
i had the MAC-CAI anf then got the 76mm C&L mass air meter and the C&L power pipe. The MAC is much smaller going to the TB. Coming from the fenderwell its 76mm exactly. But it does narrow moving upwards. i had a 70mm Accufab TB i didnt want to bottleneck **** up, So i had my buddy bend/expand me up an extenion 4 inch long 76mm diamter pipe-slapped it on-Now the entir elength from CAI through the fenderwell to TB is all 76mm.
Hope this helps, lata Ant

The problems reported with C&L meters seem to be hit or miss. Personally, I am not convinced that the problem is with the meter (in spite of what everyone says)

I ran a similar setup (a custom CAI) with a bend coming straight off my 73mm C&L. I had no such problems with idle quality.

I have also used an air filter mounted directly on the end of the C&L. In this case fan wash is supposed to disrupt the airflow through the meter, again causing idle control issues. I had no idle problems.

I have had the same meter for nearly 10yrs and have never had a problem with it.

If you look at what C&L provides I am not sure how one meter could be fine with a CAI, while another meter causes problems with the same setup.
All C&L provides is some machined Al parts. I doubt their production tolerances are that loose.

Just my thoughts,
jason

Yes my cold air is the fender mount. I have heard people say it will not run right like this but I have seen mine and also 2 friends run fine like this. But that does not speak for millions of other cars, every car is different..

You can mess around with clocking the MAF to get better results. Like the hours on a clock start spinning the MAF around until you get the best idle and performance. I'm sure it has something to do with turbulence in the intake tract due to the bend of the CAI...but i have heard that clocking the MAF alleviates the problem. good luck man