Quick Throttle Body Help

tonymwc

Jan 16, 2017
getting stuff ready for new intakes, ordered 70mm throttle body and egr spacer (separate orders)
throttle body shows up and is 75mm, now my question is would it benefit me more to port out out egr spacer and intake to match? Is the 75mm too much? Going with gt40 heads and intakes headers and exhaust staying with stock cam for now. Everybody always says to go with 70mm but not sure if it would be better to go 75mm or if would be too much? Obviously still kinda new! Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I would think tb's are like carbs in some ways, bigger is not always better. That said, what year, trans, and future plans?
Me, I'd get the 70mm unit and port the intake to match the egr if needed,
Explorer stuff right? Have the heads been updated?
A little more info will get better advice.

heads will be updated, stock auto trans, looking for a decent weekender thats pretty quick. 91 conv yes explorer heads and intake. thats what i was thinking about the bigger isnt always better, just wasnt sure if it would put too much to the intake or if was ok, ya i have to port intake to the egr but wasnt sure if i should do them all to the 75mm or just stick with 70mm egr and intake and leave the throttle at 75mm

70mm tb 70mm egr match the opening in the intake if needed
those heads need better valve springs, good set of headers, some verts have a 3.27 gear that's ok, some change to 3.73's I prefer the 3.55"s for a driver, verts are a little heavier and benefit from a little more gear but you lose out at highway speeds, 3.55's are in between
send some pics and consider starting a thread to document your work.

It's hard to open up an explorer intake to 75mm(actually I don't think you can without running out of material-not positive on this). If the intake opening is smaller than the tb you create some turbulence to the flow. Use the egr gasket as a template and see if you can port it to that dimension. Try to smooth it as far back into the intake as possible.

Reactions: 1 user