Raise the roof.

Pretty amazing, considering they have to cut and splice all the plumbing and electrical by 4ft as well. keep posting pics when you can and good luck with the weather.
 
Up a foot. Three more to go.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220406_172734660.webp
    IMG_20220406_172734660.webp
    421.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220406_172821972.webp
    IMG_20220406_172821972.webp
    649.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220406_172841828.webp
    IMG_20220406_172841828.webp
    497.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220406_172920644.webp
    IMG_20220406_172920644.webp
    627.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220406_172945739.webp
    IMG_20220406_172945739.webp
    770.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220406_172649574.webp
    IMG_20220406_172649574.webp
    458.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220406_172658581.webp
    IMG_20220406_172658581.webp
    642.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Like
Reactions: Ronin38 and 2Blue2
Final ride height. It's weird looking out the window. I feel like the overseer of the neighborhood.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220407_175250088.webp
    IMG_20220407_175250088.webp
    686.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220407_175236492.webp
    IMG_20220407_175236492.webp
    701.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220407_171252560.webp
    IMG_20220407_171252560.webp
    667.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220407_171145655.webp
    IMG_20220407_171145655.webp
    711.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220407_171121634.webp
    IMG_20220407_171121634.webp
    467.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Like
Reactions: limp
Nicely done! How do they fill it in underneath so that it doesn't settle unevenly later?
You could also install a vault under the floor somewhere while it's up there. ;)
 
I lived in Gonzales from 2010 to 2018. We were in a new, at the time, subdivision so flooding wasn't an issue for us. I saw lots of other people's stuff go under. Helped lots of people rip out drywall and gut their houses. Sad stuff. A friend of mines house went 3 feet under in one of the last big rain storms. About 5 years ago. His house was 2 feet above flood level when built. Not so much anymore. I'm glad to see you being able to raise your house.
 
They use the dirt they dug out as backfill but not to the slab. It rides on the piers. To be honest they don't look like much but it has a lifetime warranty so I guess it will suffice.

They will build a wall of architectural cinder block around the perimeter. I may ask for a trap door in the bedroom.
 
Last edited:
I lived in Gonzales from 2010 to 2018. We were in a new, at the time, subdivision so flooding wasn't an issue for us. I saw lots of other people's stuff go under. Helped lots of people rip out drywall and gut their houses. Sad stuff. A friend of mines house went 3 feet under in one of the last big rain storms. About 5 years ago. His house was 2 feet above flood level when built. Not so much anymore. I'm glad to see you being able to raise your house.
I'm in Walker about 30 minutes north. My sister lives in Geismar. All they do now to build neighborhoods is haul in a bunch of dirt and displace water onto everyone else. At least now once climate hits full tilt I'll have water front property. I'll just need a boat.
 
  • Like
Reactions: General karthief
They use the dirt they dug out as backfill but not to the slab. It rides on the piers. To be honest they don't look like much but it has a lifetime warranty so I guess it will suffice.

They will build a wall of architectural cinder block around the perimeter. I may ask for a trap door in the bedroom.
I do not remember your 10-20, but a tornado hideout has been handy already in 2022 for a lot of continental US folks. I’ve had a tarp on the ground of the “duck walk” space with a sanded 2x8 on blocks for a bench in the last town where basements were bad ideas. Even in a real crawl space, a tarp and a place to duck and cover with that hatch sounds like a cheap safety feature.
 
Last edited:
I do not remember your 10-20, but a tornado hideout has been handy already in 2022 for a lot of continental US folks. I’ve had a tarp on the ground of the “duck walk” space with a sanded 2x8 on blocks for a bench in the last town where basements were bad ideas. Even in a real crawl space, a tarp and a place to duck and cover with that hatch sounds like a cheap safety feature.
I'd be afraid a tornado would knock the house down on top of us. :oops: