Raising the motor with washers at the motor mounts

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
I read somewhere that people have used washers at the motor mounts to raise their motor a little. I would like to do that with mine. I want to raise my motor as much as possible without hitting the hood to improve the clearance of my headers. That is probably about 1/2" or so.

Can I use regular (zinc or whatever they are made of) washers from the hardware store for this?

And what size are the bolts (so I can make sure the washers are the right size)?

I realize I may need longer bolts, and that raising it may cause other clearance issues with things like the k-member ...

• Sponsors (?)

I can see how this could distance the motor from the ground :D

If the washer is supporting a very small portion of the load between the motor and
the block ... you might wanna get you a steel plate to more evenly support the load
when you arrive at the proper thickness with the stack of washers :)

Grady

I would vote a plate as well but that will be some fairly major welding/measuring.

But to do this

I would get an old motor mount and a length of steel tube (like thick wall DOM with enough for a bolt to pass threw). with the the tube in 1/2in or whatever lengths put them on the motor mount and measure for a brace of flat stock (say 1/8-1/4 in cut the ends at an angle were it will be welded to the DOM) to tie them together. Take to a shop or find a local guy with a welder to weld them up after they have been fitted and cut to the proper lenth. Keep them on the motor mount with a washer keeping the DOM tube flush and in the proper spot. After they are tack welded they can be removed for final welding. Then its just unbolt the motor mounts you have on there and jack the motor up and install. If you get good bolts while doing the setup (like were I said bolt the tubes to the mount...making the mount a jig) you can even know you long of a bolt you need and already have it from when you setup the "jig".

I would be concerned about the washers having too much flex. If you raise and brace something with some arse (DOM is what you want here) to still put the force to the motor mount the way the block does should work.