Rdub6’s F150 thread

• Sponsors (?)

Got the rear axle hard and soft lines done tonight. They all fit fine.
I did find my line from ABS module to pass. front has a wrong fitting also.
D6400A8A-ACFF-4295-8DA3-C1D61E89EC39.jpeg

CE235348-60C4-48CE-92F5-99787C355C64.jpeg

All I can hope is that they take care of this properly, in the eyes of customer service.

I’m getting close with this. Need to hook up the driver side front line, and the line going to the rear.
I’m installing a new Motorcraft MC as well, so I’ll need to bench bleed that, bolt it in, get the system bled, and see where I’m at.
Hopefully my used ABS module works, as they assured me it would. We’ll see!

More of what I’ve learned from this experience——— buy brake lines from SStubes, also known as Fine Lines.
Do not buy brake lines from InLine Tube. They corrected their issues, but I have not had a wrong line yet from SSTubes, and SStube lines seem nicer as far as the flow of their bends.

Reactions: 1 users
Good day today. Got the last of the brake lines in, master cylinder back in, and all lines free of leaks (I think).
It was a typical hazy, hot, and humid day, so bleeding the brakes gave way to floating in the pool to cool off. Friday I’ll deal with that, and hopefully have this truck up and running again!

So I borrowed this brake bleeder from a buddy of mine.
F25AFA03-FAB2-4B8C-99DD-9B877E8F8652.png

Bled out the ABS module, and all the lines, and we are back in business! No leaks, pedal feel is good, and no more slowly sinking to the floor!! I guess the used module they sold me was in fact a good one!!
No I just have to tackle the parking brake next, which I disassemble at the caliper a while ago cause was nothing but rust!

Reactions: 1 user
I finally took on that rear window. Was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Only bad thing about the project is that I only took one pic!
Now to let it dry, wait til it rains, and hope I fixed the leak.
7C1FD375-398F-4C4E-811B-BB13244F00A9.png

Bought a Type S back up camera for what is now my daughter’s truck.
Installed it today, and it seems like it’ll do the job. The camera is solar powered, so we’ll see how that works out. Worse case is I remove the camera, charge it on the USB. It doesn’t stay on long, so I’m hoping the battery lasts a while, especially the way the rain and clouds have been lately.
I also plan to get a female 12v socket, wire it into a power with key on fuse. Hopefully one of the several spares will do it, and they’re not all constant 12v.

21CCF663-4140-4C07-853E-F488B802C4DA.png

4B59128E-3DA4-4B73-88CE-36E8B286736A.jpeg

So, the ole ‘02 F150 has been relatively problem free since my daughter took it over. I think I put an alternator and battery in it, but that was relatively cheap and easy.
Now it’s leaking trans fluid from the grommet that gives you access to the torque converter drain. I’m assuming it’s the front seal, unless somehow the converter drain plug worked it’s way loose (I doubt it)
Anyway……. How difficult is a tranny to remove in this truck…. In my driveway. It’s got the 5.4 Triton. Anybody have any experience with this?

Not to be the guy that keeps piping in-but pulling the transmission in a driveway isn’t to bad-one thing I’d recommend is find/borrow/buy a good transmission jack- with the truck up on jackstands, the transmission gets pretty far away from the ground and a regular floor jack gets real sketchy. And the exhaust Y pipe will get in your way

Not to be the guy that keeps piping in-but pulling the transmission in a driveway isn’t to bad-one thing I’d recommend is find/borrow/buy a good transmission jack- with the truck up on jackstands, the transmission gets pretty far away from the ground and a regular floor jack gets real sketchy. And the exhaust Y pipe will get in your way
I welcome and encourage all responses.
However, I decided to bring it in to the shop tomorrow morning. If I had the time, and we didn’t use the truck every day, I’d have a go at it, but sometimes you just gotta pay da man! It kills me to do it, knowing I can do it myself…… but it is what it is.
I’ll save the the DIY for my mustang!

A little F150 update. I’m 6000 miles late on the spark plug change, but finally at 106,000 it started to get a little hesitation. I’ll give my daughter credit for noticing this and bringing it to my attention!!
I’ve many horror stories about changing these plugs, but after more research, it seems the ‘04 and up 3v plugs are the problem.
My ‘02 had the “not tight enough” plug issue. Blew one out under warranty many years ago. And the passenger side plugs where the head was replaced was noticeably tighter than the driver side. On the recommendation of some of the f150 forums, they went back in at 28 ft/lb.
It’s a tedious job, but I got it done with no issues, so pretty happy about that. And it runs much better!!
And you do not have to remove the fuel rail as many people say you do!!
Some pics of the old plugs if anyone is interested:
F6B6C945-3637-4775-98CD-1F319DFEAF91.jpeg B45827AC-2F19-4609-9E6C-DF2AAB836C5B.jpeg 392F4097-8B5E-4557-9767-F0AFF6F54EB0.jpeg 05768ECF-A33D-442E-AC7C-0A976A8CA048.jpeg 4D19C699-7E76-4C58-B400-A7EF5D08A852.jpeg

23FF05CF-1EC0-4B8E-89DD-30A463FC583C.jpeg 4BBF8B3F-1309-4C79-B7D4-97F3D48D6039.jpeg

7159F7FF-A712-404C-8710-EF2B3F214B13.jpeg

September’s issue with the truck was the EVAP purge valve. Was throwing codes on and off about an evap leak. Already had a brand new fuel cap….. didn’t see any hoses that were bad. Code came back to stay so I tested the purge valve and it was no good. $100 later at AutoZone, and the “service engine” light is off, and the code is cleared.

All in all, the truck is treating my daughter well, and she loves driving it! I’d really love to restore this once she’s done with it! We’ll see where that goes.

September’s issue with the truck was the EVAP purge valve. Was throwing codes on and off about an evap leak. Already had a brand new fuel cap….. didn’t see any hoses that were bad. Code came back to stay so I tested the purge valve and it was no good. $100 later at AutoZone, and the “service engine” light is off, and the code is cleared.

All in all, the truck is treating my daughter well, and she loves driving it! I’d really love to restore this once she’s done with it! We’ll see where that goes.
Get all the bugs worked out then work a tune and CAI.

I've heard that results are a hair better than usual but I don't recall if that included exhaust. :shrug: