Really disappointed in my TMI Upholstery

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I purchased the TMI Opal Gray cloth a while back, not even a year ago. Wasn't thrilled with the material but I installed it. This is the driver's seat after a few months on a car that I drive MAYBE once a week.

You can see the material shedding like a dog

cpu10f.jpg

Then there is this.....

8lYtPK.jpg

rbnbPZ.jpg

More shedding where my right leg sits

fhBtMn.jpg

I know everyone will say contact them etc. I tried that on an issue I had during the initial install and the response was pretty poor and I gave up. I will probably just throw a seat cover on and will never give them another dime of my money.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

That sucks.
I'm having good luck with their Mach I style front seat upholstery I installed a while back,
It is vinyl though as apposed to cloth.
The one issue I did have was the fabric pockets that hold the metal rods tore extremely
easily when assembling, almost like the fabric was too thin.
Not good to hear about the phone response you got, I was planning on calling them to
see if I could purchase just the rear seat upholstery to match my fronts.

That's a shame. I was really considering picking up a pair of OEM 87-89 GT seatsa and recovering them black with their kit to squirrel away. Now I guess I won;t

They used to have a rep that frequented the forums. Guess they've gotten too big now that they have LMR and CJpony ports pedaling their product.

I did buy one of their kits but returned it for other reasons. I was initially impressed with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Two sets of seat foam in the Cobra. Both are hopeless. Even took the seats to an upholstery place to try and shave out some foam, and my head rubs on the ceiling while sitting in the passenger seat.

Kurt

That's really sad and also very helpful to know. This thread is killing there business!

Or could save it. TMI is the only one left in the business. They could google their product every once in awhile, see what people are actually saying, and fix the problem.

Kurt

• Happy
Reactions: 2 users
There is another company doing seat covers. Acme auto.

I’ve seen the covers installed and they don’t look bad at all. No idea how they hold up.

But for the most part, if you google mustang upholstery...you get TMI. They’re marketing/sales dept has done their job.

LMR carries Acme upholstery. For '93 it's listed in Opal Grey for hatchbacks. They also carry it in Titanium Grey for '92 hatches and notches. I haven't seen it yet but my best friend just bought a '92 notch kit for his car from them. He asked if I had received any hog rings with my TMI Leather set (nope!)
He told me the Acme kit included hog rings and a cheap set of pliers. The Acme kits generally run $100 cheaper than the TMI stuff too. I'll try to see it tomorrow and can post a follow up if anyone is interested.

Hog rings and pliers can be had cheaply enough. I think I sprung for a good set on ebay with some generic hog rings and that only came out to $35-40 or so.

The angled hog ring pliers are the way to go though. They really make it easy to dig in there

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user