Rear Differential Question - Traction Lok

executive67

Feb 23, 2009
I have a 67 Mustang Conv - the plate says that I have a Traction Lok rear end. I know on the GM cars with a "Posi" you can turn the U-joint on the pumpkin and if both wheels turn, it's a "Posi". Is Ford the same way?

Someone had mentioned to me that they thought there had to be greater torque on the Traction Lok to make the plates engage to turn both wheels; therefore, if you turned the pumpkin U-joint by hand you will only see one side turn.

Help???

• Sponsors (?)

Traction lok wasn't available until mid 68. Your 67 would have a Equa lok rear. Both are "locking" or "limited slip" devices for the Ford rears. What suggests that you have a locking rear? Do both rear tires spin in the same direction? What is the axle code on your door tag?

Easy...
1. Hold your foot on the brake.
2. Slam down on the gas until you see a lot of smoke.
3. Get out of the car and look at the street.

If you see two black streaks, your have a locking device.

Burnout.jpg

One other answer is that you could have an Equal-Loc with worn-out clutches. One my car, I can jask up the car and have both wheels spin the same direction. When I do a burnout, however, theres only a mark on the right side. The reason is because I need to replace the clutches inside.

FYI:
Equal-Loc clutches are about $140 (or Trac-Loc clutches for $50)
Install kit is ~$120
and my 3.8:1 gears will be ~$200