Rear drivers side drum brake popping

glowstang93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 9, 2003
Illinois
My rear drivers side drum pops when applying the brakes only. It's like the shoe is contacting then slips off the drum as the wheel rotates. You can hear it as the rear wheel is slowing down, you can hear a distinctive thump or pop, as it rotates. I had it in the shop earlier this year and they couldn't figure it out, but now it is getting worse. I'm thinking it might be a wheel cylinder leaked out enought to oil the shoes, Any thoughts on what it might be?

• Sponsors (?)

Another vote to just get in there and take a look. The shoes have contact points on the backing plate and if the shoes load up, it can cause a noise as the shoe squirms around.

I would consider removing the shoes (replace if worn or worn oddly. Sometimes you end up with just a corner of the shoe wearing, for instance). Grease the contact points and replace the brake springs (the kits are available from parts stores). Inspect the aforementioned wheel cylinder and then reinstall the parts, checking the drum for wear and run-out.

Do both sides just for symmetry and maintenance schedules.

Well, since I am still not versed on brake repair, I took it to my friend's shop. All they could find was built up brake dust in the drum. They cleaned them up and its stopping good again.

I got to find someone or a class that can show me how to do them. I know it would be easy, but I really need a hands on showing before I am ready to tackle mine.

Thanks everyone for giving me some ideas. Appreciate you all :nice
:

Pick up a haynes manual.It has easy to follow step by step with tons of pictures.Rear brakes really aren't hard to do.It may seem hard since you've never done them before.But once you've done it once or twice..it's cake.Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Only thing is.You'll need a pair of brake spring pliers and a tool for accessing the shoe spring holder pins.Advanced Auto has both of those parts.If I were you,I'd do a complete overhaul if it has never been done.

SN is your tutor :)

Pick up a haynes manual.It has easy to follow step by step with tons of pictures.Rear brakes really aren't hard to do.It may seem hard since you've never done them before.But once you've done it once or twice..it's cake.Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Only thing is.You'll need a pair of brake spring pliers and a tool for accessing the shoe spring holder pins.Advanced Auto has both of those parts.If I were you,I'd do a complete overhaul if it has never been done.

SN is your tutor :)

+1 buddy:nice: