Brakes Rear drum's grabbing

90foxbody00

Dec 22, 2018
Washington
So I recently did the maximum Motorsports brake upgrade kit and threw new rotors and drums on with it and my passenger side drum is catching on the shoes. It was catching before but I was thinking the drums were out of round but it's doing it with the new drums too. As I said it's almost like a warped rotor or out of round drum feeling and sound. And at slow speeds it will bring the car to a stop on it's own. I'm thinking maybe a bent axle but I honestly have no idea. Any insight is much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

So my question would be when did this start and did you own the car when it wasn't doing it? I'm assuming you did the BP-1 upgrade kit which means you changed the shoes. You say it was doing this with the old shoes right? If it brings the car to a stop that's a significant interference. Definitely wouldn't be driving it like that. The advice above needs to be checked. Depending on your answer to my first question, I'd check and make sure all the brake hardware is correct....particularly the adjusters Mustang5L5 mentioned. Post us a pic of it without the drum on if you need to.

So my question would be when did this start and did you own the car when it wasn't doing it? I'm assuming you did the BP-1 upgrade kit which means you changed the shoes. You say it was doing this with the old shoes right? If it brings the car to a stop that's a significant interference. Definitely wouldn't be driving it like that. The advice above needs to be checked. Depending on your answer to my first question, I'd check and make sure all the brake hardware is correct....particularly the adjusters Mustang5L5 mentioned. Post us a pic of it without the drum on if you need to.
Yeah I'm not sure the name but it's the kit with the stainless braided hoses, hawk pads up front with the steel inserts for the slides up front and new shoes, I also threw a completely new hardware kit and drums and rotors up front. I don't know exactly when it started, I've owned the car for about 3 years and I adjusted the rear brakes about a year and a half ago and noticed it then and as I said in the other comment it has a slight vibration at 60 mph and the few times I've made some highway pulls up to 100+ it's been very noticeable and I back off right away.

Possible incorrect assembly of rear drum brake...

Drum brake assembly

I recommend that you print this post and tape the first drawing up in front of you when you reassemble the brakes. It is very easy to do it wrong and without the drawing in front of you.
The springs and shoes are position dependent, so look closely at the drawing when you put it back together. Make careful note of the FORWARD ARROW that points you towards the front of the car. When you install the brake shoes, remember: short shoe goes towards the front of the car.

Here's two pages out of the factory shop manual...
attachments\66108

attachments\568952

attachments\66109

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user