Rear gas tank and front tilt hood pics..

Coming from someone who owns a 67 stang. The issue with the gas tank is they drop into place from the trunk. So, the floor of the trunk is the top of the gas tank.

To compound this, there was no metal barrier btw the trunk area and the passenger compartment. In a collision, if the gas tank was ruptured, gas would spill onto the back of the rear seats. If ignited, the fire would imediately spread into the passenger compartment.

Also, since those cars did not have head rests, it was highly likely that your back/neck was injured in the collision. So, if you didn't break your neck during the impact, you would burn to death because you were not able to exit the vehicle under your own power.

To the OP, if you did modify your hatch floor. I would ensure that you add some type of metal barrier btw the gas tank and the hatch area.

• Sponsors (?)

Thank guys for all your comments.. Well the reason I did my hood was I Know my car would look different in a car show, Not just would it look different but you have better access to your engine bay. You can swap headers intake check for vacum leaks,tune your car with out getting hit with the hood in the back of your head. The gas tank gives it a better look since my gas tank door is shaved and doors are shave it gives it a cleaner look. I don't see why its hazardous The tank is in the rear the modifiying of the inlet doesnt make a difference if you get hit in the rear there going to hit it regardless.Yes I did cut my wheelwell but i made a shield so its actually outside the car now theres no fumes going inside my trunk or the car. I redid my trunk with dynamat so its sealed.(Who drives with a spare now a days anywayLOL) usually people use it for a sound system anyways. I still have room for a 15 speaker and maybe two amps and my Battery.I do have a licence plate tilt so you cant see its behind my license plate.Thank again for you comments.I will post more pictures soon.

So he cut the floor? So its sort of a "drop in" the trunk tank now, like in the classic Mustangs... that has to be good.

If this makes any sense, I would have cut the filler hole where he has it now, but I would've ran the filler neck through the spare tire well to the license plate, keeping the tank in the stock position.

IDK I need more pics or an explanation from the horses mouth before I go on anymore.:shrug:

The tank is in the stock position. The only difference is the filler neck and the license plate (Stock position)

Recent pictures

this is how it looks at the moment i blended the welds with the car needs more sanding but just wanted to post recent pictures
P1012032.jpg

P1012030.jpg

P1012026.jpg

View attachment 316973
P1012034.jpg

This is how it looks you can hardly tell My bumper is not put on right but you can't tell if you stand back...

I love the flip down plate set up. I imagine it cleans up the car pretty well since there will not be a fuel door. And you can pull up to any pump and not worry about which side the fill is on. :nice:

I'd like to see the hood when its done and painted. I am warming up to the forward flip hood.

I respect both ideas, I just don't like the hood itself. (but I dont like the looks of 90% of aftermarket hoods anyway.:rolleyes:)

Also, since those cars did not have head rests, it was highly likely that your back/neck was injured in the collision. So, if you didn't break your neck during the impact, you would burn to death because you were not able to exit the vehicle under your own power.
Not before you bust your brains out on the steering wheel because of the 2-point seatbelts, then comes the whiplash and the burning.

On the old cars and even on 80's Caprices you had to pull down the license plate to fill it up with gas. I like the way its in the center so you dont have to drive into the gas station a certain way and that its hidden under the plate, but I wonder about the safety issues.

And how is moving the filler neck going to throw off the center of balance; it was and still is over the rear axle and it doesnt weigh that much.

Well, yeah but mustangs stopped in the 60's. like i said its ok, but not the safest

I like both of the mods. They are not for me or my car, but I still respect them both. The car will still have a stock appearance, but a forward tilting hood, how cool is that!? As far as the gas filler cap, I love the idea of shaving off that ugly-ace square fuel door. I fail to see how a gas tank, still located in the stock position, with a re-positioned and (partially) flexible filler tube is any less safe?? Great job, and please keep us posted on your good work!

Yea i dont know what you guys are talking about with safety issues and changes in the weight distribution??? I like both ideas and i think the hood will look alright when its all said and done. Nice work man. Love the shaved filler door idea! should look very clean when done.