Rear mounted video camera?

• Sponsors (?)

JonJon said:
How do you mount a video camera in the car so you can see yourself shift and the track ahead of you? Do you need a roll cage? :shrug:
just some idea's cause I've never done it , but it seems like you could set a teliscopic tripod in the back seat with the front legs extending down to the floor. mabey velcro it to the the rear deck or lay the rear seats down and velcro it on top of the seats, velcro should stck to the carpet on the back of the seats

I use a tripod for all of my videos........
Remove the back lower seat (30 seconds)
Place the tripod with one leg towards the back and the other two extended out longer going to each side of the rear floor board...
Then using 4 pull tight straps I got at lowes for $9.99 I take a strap from the tripod down to each seat belt mount and tighten it down....

When tight you can actually shake the car by standing outside and pushing/pulling on the tripod...

Um, if you go to the track, get a pamphlet of NHRA rules... its illegal. It says that any car with an in car mounted camera will be forced to remove the camera or be kicked out. They say that you can only use and in car camera if it is approved by an official in advance.

I dont know how strict the rules are in MD, but of you try that at NE Dragway, you might as well prepare to sit in the stands all night.

StangYellow said:
Um, if you go to the track, get a pamphlet of NHRA rules... its illegal. It says that any car with an in car mounted camera will be forced to remove the camera or be kicked out. They say that you can only use and in car camera if it is approved by an official in advance.

I dont know how strict the rules are in MD, but of you try that at NE Dragway, you might as well prepare to sit in the stands all night.
They didn't seem to give a damn when I ran a 13.70 without helmet. :shrug: and continued to run after.

I dislike NE Dragway, you can't leave your car while in the staging lanes to watch the races. All they would have to do is "Lane 4, you're next, get to your cars ASAP". It's simple. At 75-80 Dragway in MD, they do. It's great. You get your moneys worth.

Oh, and they never gave my roomate any crap for not wearing at seatbelt at NED. :shrug:

Ok fine, put the camera in your car and see if you pass the inspection. It doesnt matter to me if you pay $17 and cant race.

Oh, if you want to watch the races from the stands. Park your car in the parking lot like everyone else does.

StangYellow said:
Ok fine, put the camera in your car and see if you pass the inspection. It doesnt matter to me if you pay $17 and cant race.

Oh, if you want to watch the races from the stands. Park your car in the parking lot like everyone else does.
:rolleyes:
Why can't they just call the lanes?
Waitin an hour+ to run again is boring as crap, why can't we watch?

The CruiseCam Headrest Mount will easily clamp to any vehicle that uses headrests that mount on posts and raise up a minimum 1" to provide clearance for the mount frame. The area to the sides of the headrest posts must be clear. If you can place a straight 15" long stick against your headrest posts, the CruiseCam Mount will work fine.

hrm ... i would assume that it will fit. it's only $45, i'm thinkin i might buy one of these. would be good to use when at the drag strip.

Other than the cost of a good tripod- I would not spend a DIME. No need to spend money or even no money to secure the tripod in the back seat. A tripod itself is plenty. I have only tried it with a couple videos but it works just fine. I think I had two legs extended to the floor and one leg on the seat, or maybe the other way around. Also no need to remove the rear seat either. JM .02 cents.

tait_gt2002 said:
Other than the cost of a good tripod- I would not spend a DIME. No need to spend money or even no money to secure the tripod in the back seat. A tripod itself is plenty. I have only tried it with a couple videos but it works just fine. I think I had two legs extended to the floor and one leg on the seat, or maybe the other way around. Also no need to remove the rear seat either. JM .02 cents.
Yeah, that would be nice too because it'd be set far back enough to see the shifting. The chase cam only looks like a view out of the windshield, which can be good too for certain things :)

And using the advice above about securing it down tightly, looks like that'll be cheaper too.

tait_gt2002 said:
how much would a good tripod run? i don't have one for my camera yet. sounds like the tripod would work just fine, and plus i would be able to use the tripod for other stuff besides filming from within the car.