Rear Side Reflectors: Make Into Functional Turn Signals?

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
How hard would it be to turn the rear side reflectors into functional turn signals? Is it just a matter of drilling a few holes and tapping into the trunk wiring? I might be interested in doing this...it'd definitely be different :)

What gave me the idea was that when I went to get my car inspected, the guy threw on my blinker and crawled up under the car to check to see if they were turn signals or not, because they weren't flashing.

I know...what a dueschbag, right?

• Sponsors (?)

pretty sure it would be illegal. Same reason that all 6 sections of the tail light don't come on when you brake.

Most states have a pre-set ammount of min/max lights per function. I'm sure you could fabricate some sort of light, but the reflector itself is less than a 1/2" thick.

pretty sure it would be illegal. Same reason that all 6 sections of the tail light don't come on when you brake.

Most states have a pre-set ammount of min/max lights per function. I'm sure you could fabricate some sort of light, but the reflector itself is less than a 1/2" thick.

It prob would be illegal but i doubt anyone would notice. The new Mustang has the side reflector lit up with a bulb. I don;t know if it blinks like a turn signal but since you can't see the taillights from the side Ford had to make it light up.

On the 94-98 cars, you can see the turn signal from the side, so it is legal. The reflector is there to fulfill the legal obligation of having a red reflector visible from the side. But even that gets confusing as 99-04 Saleens have deleted this reflector.

There are rules to the max number of brake lights that can light up as well. That's why only 4 of the 6 sections on the stang light up. I have modified my taillights however so that now when i brake, all 6 light up. I seriously doubt anyone will ever say to me "Hey, you have too many brake lights now!"

It's a good idea about the reflector having a light, but u don't think it can be done. There is no housing. It's just a flat peice of plastic with another flat peice that is reflective on top. There is nothing to put a bulb in, or reflect it evenly. You would have to custom make a housing

After more thinking on this... you could fabricate some sort of LED contraption. Not worth it though IMO unless you're that starved to be different.