Wheels-Tires Rear Tires rubbing

• Sponsors(?)

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,
315’s??wth..
Did AM or another vendor recommend these or remark these would fit without modification?
These rubbing on both sides, if Y- contact points equivalent?
Stock springs & shocks?
You’ll need to increase well size space and/or split the remainder (width of the wells minus tire width) equally, likely outward..
If you’ve got an 1/8”, 1/4” outwards, add a spacer between the Rim/Hub. If need be- roll out your quarter lip(s).
Appears you could gain some clearance of the inner well with some precisely directed brute force. Rotate your tailpipe, or gain a few degrees of clearance by rerouting where needed. Zigzag the pipe back so it exits correctly further down.
Mark pipe, remove it, zip a notch in the pipe 60% of it’s diameter with a die grinder, bend the gap closed, seal-weld it with a stringer.
-John

Hollywood_Vae

Jan 19, 2019
Maryland
Hi,
315’s??wth..
Did AM or another vendor recommend these or remark these would fit without modification?
These rubbing on both sides, if Y- contact points equivalent?
Stock springs & shocks?
You’ll need to increase well size space and/or split the remainder (width of the wells minus tire width) equally, likely outward..
If you’ve got an 1/8”, 1/4” outwards, add a spacer between the Rim/Hub. If need be- roll out your quarter lip(s).
Appears you could gain some clearance of the inner well with some precisely directed brute force. Rotate your tailpipe, or gain a few degrees of clearance by rerouting where needed. Zigzag the pipe back so it exits correctly further down.
Mark pipe, remove it, zip a notch in the pipe 60% of it’s diameter with a die grinder, bend the gap closed, seal-weld it with a stringer.
-John
Yeah they have 315/35/r17 i bought the car with them on there. They have some aftermarket shocks they’re not the stock ones i know that. And i was told take a hammer to the inner most prt of the wheel well also.

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Yeah they have 315/35/r17 i bought the car with them on there. They have some aftermarket BBKSub shocks they’re not the stock ones i know that. And i was told take a hammer to the inner most prt of the wheel well also.
Hi,
Ok! First thread view (thoughts of) content with
315/35 Nitros on 17” Bullitt’s shoehorned in (and actively self-machining) the stock well’s.. was ..:scratch:.
Good to know it’s a normal -bit misguided- but normal-scenario involving a tunnel-visioned newbie..
—>It’s really not bad...the mid 80’s, Airshocks & Unilug’s. THAT was BAD...
As every car’s a little different, some wells require more “Finesse”, some less..Quad Shocks need be removed, Roll out your 1/4’s.
Job can still be neatly done with a BFH, small hydraulic ram if you have a kit.
Quick reference points, below, Stock Vs. new.
Tire aspect ratio is off, not enough to worry about.
MPH/Corr./width below..
1993. NEW
(225/55/16) (315/35/17) W/Aspect Ratio/Rim Dia
25.74”. 25.68”. -O.06” Height
30Mph. 29.93Mph. Corrected
65mph. 64.84. Corrected
8.86”. 12.4”. Width
As I’d mentioned, Miter the tailpipe to get it out of the way. Mark pipe, remove, diegrinder cut, bend & tack, verify fit & adjust, weld solid, reinstall.
Otherwise, should be all set, once wells are clear & test driven, spray the wells with rubberized undercoating, It’s all good.
Any questions, feel fre.
Good luck!
-John

Chythar

15 Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
West Los Angeles, CA
I have the same tires on my Cobra clone, and I've had to 'massage' the wheel wells until they stopped rubbing. Pound on the bare metal with a hammer to get some clearance, then spray some black paint to cover the bare metal. Repeat until the tires no longer rub on those spots.

My exhaust only rubs if I hit a decent bump to compress the shocks. Happens more often if the trunk is full. Otherwise, it's all good.