Engine Rebuilt 306 Cam Degreeing: 6.5 Degrees Off?

ZephyrEFI

Mar 9, 2019
Shakopee, MN
Well, since I missed the show I was trying to get it ready for (it's actually going on right now), and it's been clear that was going to happen for a good week now (which was very frustrating), I've been chipping away at other things that need to happen for the car to run and drive once the valvetrain is done and the engine is in when I do get car time here and there. Things I know I can accomplish like putting the trans back together.

For the valvetrain, I guess I've mostly been trying to let all the input I'm getting on it sink in. I'm a person who needs to process things. I'll get there one way or another.

• Sponsors(?)

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Well, since I missed the show I was trying to get it ready for (it's actually going on right now), and it's been clear that was going to happen for a good week now (which was very frustrating), I've been chipping away at other things that need to happen for the car to run and drive once the valvetrain is done and the engine is in when I do get car time here and there. Things I know I can accomplish like putting the trans back together.

For the valvetrain, I guess I've mostly been trying to let all the input I'm getting on it sink in. I'm a person who needs to process things. I'll get there one way or another.
Hi Zephyr,
Let’s approach this from another angle-ok? First, Regarding any guidance or info. exchanged, I am talking to, not down to you, not irritated, nor thinking anything but the best approach to what you want, up & running correctly with overall longevity.
You’ve done a tremendous job navigating through several things, Cam Timing, Cam Gear Thrust, incorrect keepers, we got past that. Take pride in that. This is no typical GT40P swap with an Explorer Intake & upgraded Cam/spring setup you’re running. Of the below, you can do, already have #1 & #4 #5, #6, & likely #3. Your reduced Cam Base circle, Head thickness, and uncertain deck height are going to factor into Geometry, also how far into the hole the Pistons are @TDC (Head Gasket thickness) pushrod length.
If it’s your desire to stay the course, you can run Pedestals, reliably, four limitations to running them, not HP, nor your specific Cam’s lift or Duration :
1) Open spring Pressure can’t exceed 400lbs.
2) You require consistent, accurate original installed Valve Stem height.
3) Pedestal height has not been altered.
4) You keep your RPM’s limited to 6,000RPM.
5) No clearance issues, interferences with Rocker, whether pivot, or otherwise.
6) Rocker Bolts grab as many threads as possible. Step up to ARP Bolts.
Check your PM.
- John

ZephyrEFI

Mar 9, 2019
Shakopee, MN
Oh, no I'm not picking up any irritation on your part, please know that. If anyone's getting irrational here, it's me. I'm frustrated by the situation I've gotten myself into and that's not your fault. I know you just want to help. Honestly, I really appreciate your patience and how helpful you've been.

We'll see what happens for when I can get a day I can buckle down and work on this. I'm a stay at home dad, and if I can't give all of my attention to what I'm doing in new situations like this, it just ain't gonna happen. You can probably expect a call. Thank you!

Reactions: 08GT500

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi Zephyr, LTNT!
How’s everything going, how far did you get, I’d wondered what occurred, is there any questions, comments, any way I can help?
Nice to see pic’s or at least know how it’s going. Well, Happy Thanksgiving & looking forward to hearing from you!
Best!
John

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
(413)-345-8331 if you need to talk, happy to help. Got super busy building a garage addition in a race for foundation, and frost coming...looks like a Spring completion, now, lol -darn it-. Well, if it can, it will happen- right? Had a shelf of 30 of the steel exhaust clamps,(2”-4”) commonly used nowl on the hood of my GT 500, grrrrr... Hood. Going to attempt a spot repair, hoods aluminum, it had one nick you could see only with a microscope before this, may just blow a clear over a repair, and clear the entire car.
We’ll see...
-John

ZephyrEFI

Mar 9, 2019
Shakopee, MN
Hey, I'm doing fine. Got the car all put together. I had my friend come and put the valvetrain together for me. Ran the engine, and had it overheat on me because I did something wrong with the fan controller. I had been trying to burp the cooling system at the time and has a "no spill" funnel in the radiator cap. It made for a very nice nozzle to spray hot coolant all over my garage wall and extra parts shelf. Fixed that. Next, I found out I forgot the rear main seal. At a glance, it was hard to tell if there was one there or not. Never having dealt with them, and having so many other things to worry about over the whole process, it just got missed. After cleaning up another pretty massive mess, I pulled the trans back out and got that fixed. Decided to renew the clutch as long as I was *back* in there. Started the car, no oil pressure. Turns out the gauge wire just needed wiggling. That's alright, I needed that heart attack. Anyway, that pretty much brings us to now.

i6CWmEX.jpg

I've run it a few more times since then, trying to get the timing right. Still don't really know where I should be with it, considering undetermined increased compression over stock and running 91 octane. Took it for a couple of rides, and it feels strong. It started making a ticking noise this last time, so I asked my friend to come back and have a look, but he hasn't had the time. I'm thinking a rocker probably just needs readjusting or something. Not concerned yet.

Ticking Noise

Your garage adventure sounds fun. I hope you can get your hood looking good.

Reactions: General karthief