Engine Rebuilt 306 Cam Degreeing: 6.5 Degrees Off?

ZephyrEFI

Mar 9, 2019
Shakopee, MN
Well, since I missed the show I was trying to get it ready for (it's actually going on right now), and it's been clear that was going to happen for a good week now (which was very frustrating), I've been chipping away at other things that need to happen for the car to run and drive once the valvetrain is done and the engine is in when I do get car time here and there. Things I know I can accomplish like putting the trans back together.

For the valvetrain, I guess I've mostly been trying to let all the input I'm getting on it sink in. I'm a person who needs to process things. I'll get there one way or another.

• Sponsors(?)

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Well, since I missed the show I was trying to get it ready for (it's actually going on right now), and it's been clear that was going to happen for a good week now (which was very frustrating), I've been chipping away at other things that need to happen for the car to run and drive once the valvetrain is done and the engine is in when I do get car time here and there. Things I know I can accomplish like putting the trans back together.

For the valvetrain, I guess I've mostly been trying to let all the input I'm getting on it sink in. I'm a person who needs to process things. I'll get there one way or another.
Hi Zephyr,
Let’s approach this from another angle-ok? First, Regarding any guidance or info. exchanged, I am talking to, not down to you, not irritated, nor thinking anything but the best approach to what you want, up & running correctly with overall longevity.
You’ve done a tremendous job navigating through several things, Cam Timing, Cam Gear Thrust, incorrect keepers, we got past that. Take pride in that. This is no typical GT40P swap with an Explorer Intake & upgraded Cam/spring setup you’re running. Of the below, you can do, already have #1 & #4 #5, #6, & likely #3. Your reduced Cam Base circle, Head thickness, and uncertain deck height are going to factor into Geometry, also how far into the hole the Pistons are @TDC (Head Gasket thickness) pushrod length.
If it’s your desire to stay the course, you can run Pedestals, reliably, four limitations to running them, not HP, nor your specific Cam’s lift or Duration :
1) Open spring Pressure can’t exceed 400lbs.
2) You require consistent, accurate original installed Valve Stem height.
3) Pedestal height has not been altered.
4) You keep your RPM’s limited to 6,000RPM.
5) No clearance issues, interferences with Rocker, whether pivot, or otherwise.
6) Rocker Bolts grab as many threads as possible. Step up to ARP Bolts.
Check your PM.
- John

ZephyrEFI

Mar 9, 2019
Shakopee, MN
Oh, no I'm not picking up any irritation on your part, please know that. If anyone's getting irrational here, it's me. I'm frustrated by the situation I've gotten myself into and that's not your fault. I know you just want to help. Honestly, I really appreciate your patience and how helpful you've been.

We'll see what happens for when I can get a day I can buckle down and work on this. I'm a stay at home dad, and if I can't give all of my attention to what I'm doing in new situations like this, it just ain't gonna happen. You can probably expect a call. Thank you!

Reactions: 08GT500