Removing intake manifold.

Awall99

Aug 28, 2006
Removing exhaust manifold and Crankshaft removal

I had a spark blug blow out of hole #3 on the head and a have to change it.
I am having trouble getting to the bolts on the exhaust manifold to remove them from the headas i cant even see the back ones if i access them from underneath the car. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I was told today that it might be possible to remove the head with the exhaust manifold still attached to the head if i unbolted the exhasut manifold from the exhaust. Then I would be able to remove the manifold while the head is out of the car. Sounds like it might work, as removing the k member seems like alot of work in order to change the head. Thanks

Awall99 said:
I was told today that it might be possible to remove the head with the exhaust manifold still attached to the head if i unbolted the exhasut manifold from the exhaust. Then I would be able to remove the manifold while the head is out of the car. Sounds like it might work, as removing the k member seems like alot of work in order to change the head. Thanks

Yeah thats the way you want to do it. It's only two nuts holding the manifold to the h-pipe.

Awall99 said:
Ah...the reverse psychology method. I like it.

They were very hard bolts to get at but got them off after a while. Moving along I am having trouble now with the removal of the crankshaft pulley as when i put a socket on the bolt holding it on the pulley wants to turn. I have tried with someone else holding the pulley and had no luck. I was told that if I removed the flywheel ispection cover I would be able to jam a screwdriver into the starter ring gear teeth to stop the crankshaft from turning.

It seems that i might have to unbolt the whole front of the transmission to remove the flywheel inspection plate, and also remove the starter. Does this seem like the right thing to do or are there any other possibilities to lock the crankshaft at TDC?

Why can't people that complain about their car actually tell us what car they have. We assume it's a '99 GT but it would be nice to have it spelled out. So many people are like, "what's the best this or that for my car" without stating what their car is.... ****ers. :notnice:

Already have the haynes repair manual and it is very broad on the topic of crankshaft removal. I just need to find a way to lock it at TDC so i can remove the bolt from the middle and pull of the pulley and remove the front cover.

BurningRubber said:
If its a manual trans car cant you just put it in gear?

That is what I'm thinking. Remove the sparkplug from cylinder #1, and put a thin metal rod down in to feel the piston. With the car out of gear, rotate the crank until you feel the piston's height peak in its stroke, that will be TDC. Then put the car in gear and put on the e-brake.