Repainting painted calipers

Ok so I've painted my calipers once before 3-4 years ago, over time they have gotten pretty dull and chipped. I tried just touching them up but the new paint I'm using doesn't seem to get along with the old, it doesn't seem to bond and kind of bubbles.

My question is what is the best way to remove the old paint with the least amount of stress to the caliper/hoses and such??

Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

If you are painting them the same color as the first time, just wash them (with like dawn), scuff (with like a scotchbrite pad), then re-paint. Spray the low spots first, let dry ... then do the whole caliper once its level.

That's how I'd do it.

I wouldn't use paint stripper if I were you! that will just make a mess! You should just sand them down using some sand paper or some steel wool. Then just paint them again. They don't have to be sanded perfect just enough so that the new will bond.

Don't pour stripper or any kind of mineral based solvent over the caliper, unless you want to rebuild the caliper and caliper piston assemblies. The best way would be to remove them, tape off the exposed areas and media blast them. But, if you don't want to remove them from the car, I think I would do what Stan suggested and use a brass wire wheel on a die grinder or drill.

ya thinking about it again you might not wanna get paint stripper down into the seals and stuff of the caliper. wash it really well with a degreaser, hit it with a wire brush & some sand paper and then wash it really well again with dish soap like dawn (degreaser & wax stripper) let it dry good and repaint

Use a product called aircraft paint remover. I get it at advance auto. It's in a spray can. It's really thick so it wont run into places you dont want it. Worked great on mine anyways. Also, It wont react with rubber of any kind so the seals are fine.
Paint with 500* engine paint color of choice (A few coats) Then hit it with a few coats of 500* engine clear coat. Looks sexy! MAKE SURE IT'S THE AIRCRAFT PAINT REMOVER!!!!! regular automotive stuff will eat rubber.

(sorry for the dirty rims and calipers... but I have bigger problems, like no motor)
Picture015.jpg

Attachments

• Picture015.jpg
    Picture015.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 36
Looks good Will Ferrell, uughhmmm, I mean Rickey Bobby. :D

I like the VHT products. They have a kit that includes the brake cleaner, primer/rust reformer, and caliper color. It is resistant up to 900°F. Brake calipers get way over 500°F under significant braking conditions.

Looks good Will Ferrell, uughhmmm, I mean Rickey Bobby. :D

I like the VHT products. They have a kit that includes the brake cleaner, primer/rust reformer, and caliper color. It is resistant up to 900°F. Brake calipers get way over 500°F under significant braking conditions.

Very true.

I havn't had it toast off yet. And I've done a few 150+ down to 60mph "oh Shat there's a speed trap" deals... (normally followed by an "oh shat they saw me 60 - 150+ run)
I did get them to smell kinda funny out at sebring, kinda like fresh painted headers... but still no burn. I must not be going fast enough. Time for more HP!

Very true.

I havn't had it toast off yet. And I've done a few 150+ down to 60mph "oh Shat there's a speed trap" deals... (normally followed by an "oh shat they saw me 60 - 150+ run)
I did get them to smell kinda funny out at sebring, kinda like fresh painted headers... but still no burn. I must not be going fast enough. Time for more HP!

Yup, time for more HP!;) Help me Jesus.....help me Tom Cruise.....help me Oprah Winfrey!! LOL sorry just having some flashbacks, but that was the best part by far.

Use Brake fluid

Seriously. That stuff takes paint off like crazy. If you have the calipers off the car just buy a couple quarts and soak the calipers in them and the paint should peel off after some time. I've done this before to take paint of calipers when i didn't like the color. The brake fluid won't really hurt the rubber seals and such considering the inside if full of the stuff.

Then use brake parts cleaner to remove all the fluid and paint away.

Painted 13" Brakes = :)

pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=929888

Attachments

• pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=929888
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=929888
    65.1 KB · Views: 48
Thanks fellas very good idea. I'll look into the aircraft paint remover and see what I think, might be easier and less worrysome just to use the brake fluid idea. Think I'll try to get the things together and do a test run on the rear caliper first and see how things turn out.

Thanks again