Replacing 6cyl rear end for 9in

TrickStang37

Oct 17, 2004
Ok, im giving up on my 93 Mustang in the sig and have decided to build up my 68 6cyl. Well, throw a 351 in there. anyways, was wonderin what is needed to be replaced in the rear end and where I can get most of the parts. Im lookin to get a 9" with a detroit locker, unless someone can talk me into the 9" withstanding 350 rwhp +. I am mechanincally inclined and do know some, just Im lost when it comes to carbs and interchangeability between cars.

• Sponsors (?)

TrickStang37 said:
Well, throw a 351 in there. anyways, was wonderin what is needed to be replaced in the rear end and where I can get most of the parts. Im lookin to get a 9" with a detroit locker, unless someone can talk me into the 9" withstanding 350 rwhp +. I am mechanincally inclined and do know some, just Im lost when it comes to carbs and interchangeability between cars.

What the hell are you talking about?

Are you asking what the best donar cars would be for a 9" rear end for your 68?

well yeah, which cars am i able to pull the rear end out of and will just mate up right. I dont know if there are differences between 9" rear ends or anything like that or what will mate up and what wont. I know there are differences between different C4's and different T5's and stuff like that so Im tryin to get information before I buy anything and get stuck with a paper weight. tryin to find the best rout to get a 9" in my 68 mustang. and i also meant to say if the 8" would withstand 350+ rwhp and the parts for that swap would be easier to come by, then maybe ill go that direction. and I also meant to say i dont know much about old cars.

67-70 Mustangs have the right width for your car as well as some others. They will be five lug so you will need new wheels. It's also a good time to put in new leaf springs since you have to remove them for the swap.