Replacing main chassis fuel lines: trouble disconnected tank return line?

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I just installed new fuel lines. I can't for the life of me figure out how to undo the return line soft line from the hard line.

As you can see, i have the old line cut and need to swap it over to the new line. The old line is at the bottom of the photo. It's not the one on the fuel filter

58017d1241043221-mustang5l5s-progress-thread-dsc00470.jpg

58018d1241043221-mustang5l5s-progress-thread-dsc00471.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

There is a plastic lock inside. I had to pry it out with a screw driver then on the reinstall I had to go to FORD to get a new one lock. They are cheap but the local parts srtors will not have them.

There is a plastic lock inside. I had to pry it out with a screw driver then on the reinstall I had to go to FORD to get a new one lock. They are cheap but the local parts srtors will not have them.

yes, they will, both styles in fact. just went through this with my fuel pump, they cost a couple bucks each at o'reilys. the hairpin style ones you can actually take out by hand (spread it while sliding it out, then pull back on the triangle part of the clip), the other one you gotta have the special tool to undo (unless you have a couple of small screwdrivers, but the tool may be much easier to use, up to you). links to the clips for reference:

O'Reilly Auto Parts - Results for Shopping Search
thats the one you need the tool for

and the other style
O'Reilly Auto Parts - Results for Shopping Search

looks like the one you want to take off is the first one. i didnt mess with my filter lines, so not for sure, but i know the pump uses both.

No need to break it, when I did my fuel pump I used this tool to take it off. Im pretty sure its just a fuel line disconnect but the site I got the picture from says oil cooler tool? They sell them at advance in the tool section, I know because I work there and thats where I got it. I dont remember which size I used but it was the red or gold one, just buy them both and return them when you're done. Takes a little wiggling but it works, if you have the plastic fuel line disconnect tool, try those.

7881.jpg

No need to break it, when I did my fuel pump I used this tool to take it off. Im pretty sure its just a fuel line disconnect but the site I got the picture from says oil cooler tool? They sell them at advance in the tool section, I know because I work there and thats where I got it. I dont remember which size I used but it was the red or gold one, just buy them both and return them when you're done. Takes a little wiggling but it works, if you have the plastic fuel line disconnect tool, try those.

7881.jpg

Dont these remove the lines from the fuel rails?

BTW i used screwdrivers and just bought new clips. LOL

Well i'm off to give it another shot. I have some a/c disconnect tools because i need to take the old lines off the fuel rails to the engine today and hook up the new lines...so i'll give that one rear fitting a shot

late model restoration.

I didnt get them though. A buddy of mine put them on his car since everything was rusted out but he decided the car was too far gone and parted the car out...so he gave me the lines

late model restoration.

I didnt get them though. A buddy of mine put them on his car since everything was rusted out but he decided the car was too far gone and parted the car out...so he gave me the lines

Good Deal! A few years ago I was jacking my car up to take it off the jack stands and as I reached under to pull the stand out the POS Craftsman Jack failed and the car fell on the stand which bent my floor up and crushed my fuel lines! I was seriously pissed, I took a mini sledge to the floor to knock it back down but ended up using Nylon Line to replace the Metal Line, someday here in the future I will replace it with new Metal Lines.