Replacing the Heater Core

dbdragracing

Dec 1, 2004
I just got done replacing my radiator hoses and thermostat....somewhere in the process the heater core was damaged and started leaking. We purchased a new heater core and removed the dash. After removing the dash we took the cover off that is over the fan. Now I'm trying to remove the cover over the heater core, but can't get it off. The manual says to remove the accumulator so this cover can be removed. How do you remove the accumulator? I've been trying to back the nuts off the line but they wont budge. Any help you can provide with replacing the heater core will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I just pried the cover up enuff to snake that thing outta there. Its plastic right? It was on mine. Phew thats a hard job, but i'd trade in a heartbeat with what i'm doing. Drag springs (I call it Project Nightmare)

If your car has AC there`s a way of doing it that doesn`t involve evacuating the AC to disconnect the accumulator.
One stangnet member has a website that shows this, www.50stangs.com.(under tech articles)

I believe it involves removing the two nuts that hold the accumulator to the firewall and bending the accumulator mounting brackets forward which allows for the needed clearance you need.

8950HO said:
If your car has AC there`s a way of doing it that doesn`t involve evacuating the AC to disconnect the accumulator.
One stangnet member has a website that shows this, www.50stangs.com.(under tech articles)

I believe it involves removing the two nuts that hold the accumulator to the firewall and bending the accumulator mounting brackets forward which allows for the needed clearance you need.

Yep, its also in the Mustang Monthly write-up. All you have to do is remove the two nuts on the accumulator bracket and bend it slightly forward and thats it.

Nice and simple and no need to evacuate the system :nice:

Roland69 said:
I've heard if your stang doeen't have A/C you don't have to pull the dash out is this true. Mine is bypassed right now but I will be replacing it in the spring after I bring it home from storage any tips.

A/C or no A/C, the core is still behind the dash :(

dbdragracing said:
I just got done replacing my radiator hoses and thermostat....somewhere in the process the heater core was damaged and started leaking. We purchased a new heater core and removed the dash. After removing the dash we took the cover off that is over the fan. Now I'm trying to remove the cover over the heater core, but can't get it off. The manual says to remove the accumulator so this cover can be removed. How do you remove the accumulator? I've been trying to back the nuts off the line but they wont budge. Any help you can provide with replacing the heater core will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dude here ya go. first make sure you don't have any pressure in your ac. if its old like mine and not blowing any cold, just unscrew your accummalator with two, thats two wrenches. you need two to hold the other side still. when you do this expect a little blast of air enough to scare ya for a sec. for the connecting hose that's the metal/rubber hose you need a tool (fuel/ac disconnect tool) pick it up at autozones or schucks for $5. use that its the only way you'll get it off. on the interior take off the fan box that is on the far right on the passanger side that whole unit comes off, there's tons of little screws and nuts hold'n that fkr in. to take that p.i.t.a. top off the heater core this is i believe one or two screws on the top far back holding that thing it. search for it with your finger. you have to use a (S) shaped phillips for tight spots. its another tool you have to go and buy. but remember to undo the accumilator first before pulling on that whole hvac unit inside or you'll spill antifreeze everywhere. use a dremel to cut the top open and pull the core out. remember to use the soft black silicone and that grey foam pad again. if you don't you'll damage the core fins and you'll be pulling in again in a few months. duck tape the hell out the top if you have to after the install. that's what i did cause i don't plan on keeping the AC i live out here in seattle, don't need it. i'll post some pics.. hope this helps... :nice: oh yeah if your accumilator was rusty like mine, it would be a good time to disconnect the other hose on the compressor and paint the whole thing black, its what i did. when you rethread use plumbing tape (that white rubber tape) to put around the threads. it helps to seal pressure. you may also want to plug your ends on the accumaltor is you don't want moisture to get inside. once moisture get inside well its pretty much not as good as it was before. but hey if you don't care like me, the hell with it. only costs $90 at autozone for a new one.