S197 Vs Sn95 Bullitt Wheel Identify By Eye?

zombiedeth

Apr 16, 2007
Hey guys, apologize because im sure this has been asked and answered a million times but i just cant seem to find via search. Ive read all about the difference in backspacing between the s197 and sn95 bullitt wheels, my question: is there any way to tell the difference without actually measuring or knowing what car they came off of? Example: im trying to source a set of wheels form craigslist for my 03 grand marquis. many of the people im dealing with arent able to tell me what car the wheels came off of and are unwilling to take measurements for me. is there any tell tale sign i may be able to identify the difference from say a photograph? I did find mention about the valve stem placement but what i read was vague. can anybody help me out?

• Sponsors (?)

I assume your question is only regarding the 17" versions??

Yes, the shape of the spoke where it meets the rim is different.

SN95 bullitt wheel
2001%20bullitt%20mustang%20gt%20wheel.jpg

2005 17" Bullitt wheel
93095d1268500588-bullitt-wheels-question-bullitt17and18front.jpg

The main difference is where the spoke meets the lip area. The 2001-2004 bullitt wheel is more of a point, while the 2005+ 17" bullitt wheel is more rounded.

There are 18" versions of OEM bullitt wheels, but these are only S197 wheels. The SN95 bullitt was 17x8 only.

Aftermarket versions can vary. For the most part, the back of one of the spokes may have offset/BS numbers, as well as a part number

Also, center caps are different.

Valve stem locations are the same, as you can see

Last edited:
Here's a better comparision of the spoke shape

2001-2004 (these are aftermarket with deeper lip, but just pay attention to the shape of the spoke - specifically the shape of the point where it meets the wheel rim area)
mustang-bullitt-wheels_3888.jpg

2005+ 17" Take note, the hub area is a bit more pronounced than the 01-04 version, so the lugs sit deeper
HOL3589DarkArgentwithChromeFord.jpg

One more thing to add. The 01-02 bullitt wheels are a little lighter than the 03-04 versions. The 2005+ 17" versions match the 03-04 version color, but there is also a light silver version. The 18" ones are a few different colors