S550 Seats, Airbag Deployed.....still Doable?

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, Wa
I've never owned nor do I have experience with vehicles that have seats with airbags. I'm wondering, can you just sew up the seam where the airbag deployed and install it in a Fox? I'm asking because the local yard has a brand new 2017 5.0 with 1,800 miles on it that's totaled and the passenger seats airbag deployed. If the rest of the seat looks good they might be worth picking up for $400. The seats are leather.

O.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

If there was someone in the seat when it happened it might be tweaked, but otherwise I don't see why not. I don't know how the tear seam works in those, the upholstery might be pretty wrecked. You'd just have to look.

Yep, i rolled the bag back into my 2011 seat, glued the seat together, and rolled with it until I could fix it right. The visual stitching doesnt tear, its a secondary stitch that is actually holding the seat together.

Edit: If you were trying to use them in another S550, then there would be a lot more to it. But since its for a fox, its easy peasy.

Yep, i rolled the bag back into my 2011 seat, glued the seat together, and rolled with it until I could fix it right. The visual stitching doesnt tear, its a secondary stitch that is actually holding the seat together.

Edit: If you were trying to use them in another S550, then there would be a lot more to it. But since its for a fox, its easy peasy.

You're right,

I did the right thing and called an automotive upholstery shop and they said there is special stitching for a dedicated seam where the airbag deploys. It's a safety hazard to use regular seat thread. The shop said since it's going in to my Fox and I don't need the airbags to be functional it'd be about $100 per seat to sew them back up. I'm going to look at the seats in person tomorrow and see if they're worth it. The seats in my Fox are very worn out, they look OK but the springs and foam are shot and my drivers seat has the gangster lean. The S550 seats should be a night and day difference.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd be curious to see how much work it takes to get s550 seats in a fox, and if they sit any lower.

These SN95 seats look good, but they suck and no head support at all

You're right,

I did the right thing and called an automotive upholstery shop and they said there is special stitching for a dedicated seam where the airbag deploys. It's a safety hazard to use regular seat thread. The shop said since it's going in to my Fox and I don't need the airbags to be functional it'd be about $100 per seat to sew them back up. I'm going to look at the seats in person tomorrow and see if they're worth it. The seats in my Fox are very worn out, they look OK but the springs and foam are shot and my drivers seat has the gangster lean. The S550 seats should be a night and day difference.

I super glued my seat for about 75 cents. It held, and if you take your time, you cant even tell. Save yourself $200, seriously. Just dont blow on it and get the white haze from the fumes like I used to on my toys as a kid, lol.

20160824_180455.jpg

Does that driver's seat look stitched or super glued?
This probably answers your question but which seam does the airbag come out of? The line on the side with no stitching? Or is there another seam between the two stitches where the airbag tag is? I've only seen these seats once in person at a dealership and I obviously wasn't paying attention to seat airbags.

Forgot about that thread.

I gotta look into this more. I like my seats, but I don't love them. I feel like there is room to improve, but I hate the look of race seats with a passion.

I just got back from the yard. This car only had 1,800 miles on it and still had the protective plastic stuck to it all around the car. I'm curious if this car was a dealer stock transfer that was driven and wrecked or what. From looking closely it looks that the seams will be an easy fix.
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG

Sorry I didnt get back to you right away on the seam question. My seat opened up at the front between the white stitches. There was a black stitching you dont see.

For the record, I replaced the airbag, seat cover, and air bag module before getting rid of the car.

They usually put it on broken/missing glass to keep water out of the interior, it would help to keep parts from falling off but most tow truck drivers don't care, hell, they rarely sweep up broken crap off the road like they are suppose to.