Safety Question About Replacing Window Lift Motor

Berry

Aug 20, 2016
I'm doing a number of repairs and renovations on my 1997 GT. So I'll probably be asking a number of questions in a number of threads. :)

Among the fixes is a replacement motor for the passenger window. I'm roughly familiar with the operation, but different sources provide different sets of instructions, and different warnings. For the time being, I'm using this procedure, which I'm copying-n-pasting from a post in another forum:

1st, remove the 3 bolts that attach the motor to the regulator
2nd, LOOSEN, but do not remove the 3 or 4 gold colored bolts around the motor (11MM bolts).
3rd, wiggle the motor until it comes free from the regulator
4th, hook up all of your wires
5th, line up the 3 bolts attaching the motor to the regulator
6th, tighten up the gold bolts
7th test.

My question is, since I'll basically be fumbling around blind inside the door, is it safe to perform Step 3 without somehow first securing the regulator in place? Is there any chance that the coil spring will suddenly unwind and break my fingers or wrist? If I need to secure the regulator, how do I do this?

I've been stalled on this fix for a couple of days trying to get a definitive answer. The folks at Corral.net have been unhelpful. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Why am I asking. Because I suspect that you may be thinking about working on a 1960's or 1970's car where there was a counter weight spring inside the regulator.

I also remember (yes I worked/drove many older 1970's cars) working on many cars where part of the window change procedure was to use a block of wood to hold the window in the UP position so that it would not fall when the regulator was removed.

Bottom line. When paired with an electric motor the regulator is a different design from the regulators or yester-year. Also remember that you are removing the motor and not the regulator. I have never had an issue when removing the motor having the window "free fall" down. But in the interest of safety it would never be a bad thing to protect yourself.

In that regard I have in the past working on other cars, taped the window to the door frame, inserted a screwdriver through the regulator, had a buddy hold the window glass, or wedged a block of wood in the door frame.

Good luck.

I'm not old enough to have worked on a 70s car in the 70s, but old enough to have memories of a few injuries incurred over a lifetime of DIYing.

I have, however, read several different sets of instructions on this procedure, and about half of them mention the spring (even instructions purportedly specific to the '94-'04 model year range).

But, cool. I'll take that as a Go. Thanks!

I have done both front and back in my 03 Vert. There were no problems with the window falling after pulling the motor. Also, I replaced the regulator and motor with one from A1 auto without a problem. The video is spot on. Good luck