Saleens or 03 Cobras for my Mystic?

ArkansasMystic

Feb 16, 2007
I've finally narrowed my rim choices down to two, but just can't decide from there. I never liked the 03 Cobras, but I've never saw them on a Mystic. I finally found some pics and I am in love, more so than the Saleens I think. Setup will be chrome 18x9 Saleens all around or 17x9 front and 17x10.5 rear 03 Cobras. I am not willing to spend the extra money on tires for the 18x10 Saleens, so they are out. Which one do you guys prefer? Thanks for any and all input.
View attachment 304100
View attachment 304101
View attachment 304102
View attachment 304103
View attachment 304104

• Sponsors (?)

throw a set of the new BBS CH Blacks on that b***h. if you are really tight for money, I say get the 03 cobras. Honestly, if you can save up a little more, buy something a little more original, you will thanks me later on down the road when you relize your car could stand out more than it does with the cobras on it.:D

it's a Cobra, not a Saleen . . . therefore, I say go with the Cobras. Now a Question to add to your dilemma . . . And maybe in the process, ya can answer a question for me . . . riddle me this . . . are you stuck on OEM ?? I see ya are talking about 17 x 10.5's . . . FRPP doesn't make them do they ??

You see, I am fighting the same dilemma as you . . . currently rebuilding my '92 GT to '93 Cobra Specs ( Kinda . . . ) with HOK Kameleon Green / Purple Paint. I now have 17x9 '95 Chrome Cobra R's ( AFS Wheels ) all around and am considering upgrading to 17 x 9 and 10.5 Cobra R's but I recently learned they ( AFS ) also offer them in Black Chrome . . . I love chrome, but with that darker paint the Black Chrome would look killer . . . here's the monkey wrench for ya . . . AFS also offers the '03 Cobra Wheels in Black Chrome . . . Hope I didn't make matters worse for ya . . . but am looking forward to hearing your opinion on the matter.

I was never really into black chrome either till I noticed what could be considered a color changing effect which would coincide with the rest of the car being color changing. The black chrome as it appears in your pics appears to shift from black at an angle to a nice shiny chrome from straight on . . . that's what caught my eye . . . now I am thinking of staying with the '95 Cobra R's cause it's more "Fox" Generation . . . but I have to say those '03 's sure are tempting and everybody and their brother has the '95 cobra R's. Thanks for posting the pics . . .

Both look good but, right off the bat, I like the Cobras better than the Saleens. I think the Cobras are plainer and in this case, less is more. I like the Cobras and after someone pointed out that you have a cobra(SVT), it would match. That should seal the deal.

I still don't know. This and most other boards say 03 Cobras. People on SVTperformance pretty much all say Saleens. Tire price will be close, actually cheaper with the Saleens. I am still trying to decide if they are worth it. I have pending deals on two sets. One is stock Chrome 03 Cobras, Nitto 555 fronts like new, 555r rears, 60% left. ~$750 picked up. Second, 18x9 Saleens, mint, Michelin Pilot Sport tires rear, 80%, no fronts, $750. Neither is a negotiated price, so I should be able to get either for cheaper. I just can not make my mind up at this point. There are some more pics of the 03 Cobras in this thread, post number 11:
Wheels on Mystics!! - SVTPerformance

I'm still stuck. I like the Saleens, and it seems I have better tire options with them. However, I like the Cobras because not only do they add looks, but also a big step up in performance. I have a possible deal on both, just trying to work out some details. I'm having trouble finding tires for the 17x10.5's, I'm really in need of some all seasons. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

Looks-wise I would go for the Cobra's, but having had the Cobra's already all I can think of when I see them is how heavy a wheel they are. So depending on what wheels you have now, expect a difference in acceleration, braking, and handling....