school me on "a good set" heads,intake.Street car

Makdaddymac

May 28, 2005
orlando
hey guys i obviously know how heads work and what they do, but really am not a detail nut.... i know what cfm is but im not sure what heads are a overkill for a
decent H/C/I on speed density(future dreams of maf conversion and blower)...
but i dont want to overkill with my head selectioj....
so whats a good cc.cfm.
i am very interested in keeping torque and top end in perfect harmony....cause ther nothing like top end to match torque.........
my idea is a cobra(chinese) :flag: :shrug: intake, or a polished typhoon...
some 190cc,260CfM on the intake ports and 210cfm on the exhaust:shrug:
and a very mild speed density friendly cam...but i might hold off on that part.,:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

tfs-k514-360-350.jpg

Might as well do it all at once.. link
Trick Flow 350 HP Twisted Wedge Top-End Engine Kits for Ford 5.0L provide dyno-proven power without the guesswork. Built around Trick Flow's Twisted Wedge Street cylinder heads, the kits include a specially matched hydraulic roller cam, StreetBurner EFI intake manifold, roller rockers, gasket kit, billet timing chain, pushrods, short valve covers, and our billet oil fill kit. Lifters not included.

Also, might as well knock out the mass air conversion at the same time. When I did it, I got a 89 harness and an a9p for $150. With the 89m harness, it's plug and play.

Attachments

• tfs-k514-360-350.jpg
    tfs-k514-360-350.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 71
View attachment 334313
Might as well do it all at once.. link

Also, might as well knock out the mass air conversion at the same time. When I did it, I got a 89 harness and an a9p for $150. With the 89m harness, it's plug and play.

Take a look in the Latest Summit Catalog for the Project 5.0 Mustang, they put the Trick Flow Kit on plus they threw a Ton of Cash upgrading a bunch of other stuff, at the end they were finally able to squeeze about 276 HP at the Wheels, not very impressive, if fact now they are yanking the Engine and are going to stuff a 347 in.

276???

I did 272/316 with UNported E7s, STOCK cam, UNported Cobra intake, easy bolt ons, and exhaust. Dads car did 292/32x with GT40P (UNported of course), STOCK cam, UNported cobra intake, and bolt ons. Mine went 12.5 and his went 12.0 (also went 7.48 in the 1/8th which should have been an 11.7-11.8 had they run a full 1/4).

I agree doing a solid HCI is a good upfront investment. But make sure you maxamaize it at each step. A 13 second HCI car sucks!

just get a nice cam that has a powerband that your looking for, i would start there. if you want a nice street car powerband look for around 1500-5500 or something along those lines.

next you want a set of heads that have good flow numbers at the lift numbers your cam will be operating in (more head flow equals more power.) buying heads that have excellent flow numbers at .600+ lift will be useless, they could lack the lowend and mid flow numbers your looking for to match your street car. a common street cam usually has around .500 - .550 (.550 is a pretty hot street cam lol)

also if the engine is a 302, i'd stick with the 165CC heads. they are a pretty good size. a N/A 302 cant move enough air to effieciently use a 185+ head, unless you want to turn it 7-8k, at that point its lost most of its street manners. if you have a blower or turbo then thats another story. bigger heads will help those applications.

as for intake get an intake that flows in the RPM range you intend to use. most of the aftermarket manifolds are designed for the street and they work very well. an eddy/typhoon, TFS, holley, GT-40 are all pretty nice intakes.

the TFS top end kit is a very nice kit, alot of people on stangnet have used them and they seem to make right at or over 300 RWHP, pretty good for the price.

if you want to piece it together, i'd get AFR 165s, they have EXCELLENT flow numbers for the port size. i'd get a a TFS stage 1 cam, pretty modern dual pattern design and they work real good for the street. if you want max power invest in a custom cam, tailored to your needs. as for the intake, i'd get the edelbrock or TFS etc. the gt-40 is nice but its not quite as good-flowing as the other brands AFIAK.

sticking with parts will make really nice power in a powerband you can actually use on the street.

Take a look in the Latest Summit Catalog for the Project 5.0 Mustang, they put the Trick Flow Kit on plus they threw a Ton of Cash upgrading a bunch of other stuff, at the end they were finally able to squeeze about 276 HP at the Wheels, not very impressive, if fact now they are yanking the Engine and are going to stuff a 347 in.

I take those reviews with a grain of salt. He who pays the most wins. For what it's worth, trick flow tested that kit at 350hp.

My car made 338 HP and 316 TRQ with....

RPM II intake
Eddy RPM's (bigger valves, upgraded springs)
AFM high rev cam

Redline is 6,500 and has great steeet manners. Combonation was fairly cheap also.

most of the mags that have tested this kit (and even people here) report about 290ish to the wheels. considering the stock 5.0 ran 225hp at the fly, id say thats a significant improvement. if you take the "standard" 15% drivetrain loss, tf's advertised numbers look about right.

Summit is a Huge Company and I believe they own part of Trick Flow, it says Big Shot Dyno did the Tuning and burned the Custom SCT Chip for it. They did a Ton of Mods besides the Trick Flow H/C/I, just pick up a Summit Catalog its in the Center.

I'm not at all biased towards Trick Flow parts, but a lot of people seem to get really good results from the basic h/c/i package they offer.

I'd like to see their 'project car' make some track runs before making any real judgments.

I'm not at all biased towards Trick Flow parts, but a lot of people seem to get really good results from the basic h/c/i package they offer.

I'd like to see their 'project car' make some track runs before making any real judgments.

If you have ever bought any parts from Summit then you should get their Catalog ever month like I do, just flip it open and you can read about all the Parts they put on the Car plus the Trick Flow Top End Kit.

I am not Biased either, just wanted to make sure the Original Poster chose his parts wisely.

I prefer AFR heads myself.

Ed Curtis can get you the "good set" of heads, custom cam, intake, gaskets, etc.

One stop shop.

But the Trickflow are a good bang for the buck.

I often find this quote interesting:

"The TW design is a failed Pro Stock design that Pontiac tried in the late 1980's. It moves a (deleted) load of air, but the air is confused and twists and turns. ie, swirl. Swirl is for low piston speeds, emmission friendly applications. It does NOT make power. " - Jay Allen.

i'd go for the trickflow all the guess work is done for you, as they say. Afr 165's are better flowing but not by enormous amounts and imo not for $200 bucks more. Plus you would have to go for the custom cam route and rpm II prob, be alot more costly in the end. im pretty sure with both of them you cant even run a cam over .550 lift. with/o upgrading the valve springs.

For me the trick flow heads had a couple of big advantages that swayed me in their direction.

The first plus was cost and availability. Although I did pick mine up used…they are still less expensive regardless.

They have been proven to flow just as well, if not better than the AFR 165's and come with decent valve-train if you choose the upgraded package.

They allow you to keep the stock pistons without having to fly-cut when using aggressive cams…and the biggest plus for me was the fact that they can be ported to flow some serious amounts of air.

Even in un-ported form, there are guys pushing 1000rwhp with these heads. Unless I do some serious, un-repairable damage to these…I won't ever have to upgrade to another head. :nice:

The AFR heads come with better valvetrain now "STOCK", aka: 600" lift.

Lift is not a factor when it comes to flycutting pistons. It is the period of overlap.

It is not all about flow numbers. If you want to get into that, the AFRs have a superior exhaust side to practically any head in its respective class.

After all, you can get the air in, but you need to get it out:nice:

50tech dot com has a lot of info for speed density guys. My choice would be AFR 165's with a stock cam and gt-40 intake. The combo works great together. 50tech has a thread about SD cams, what works and what will not. Good luck