Self project! 1995 5.0 Cylinder Heads

Project5.0

Jan 7, 2021
San Jose
How’s it going mustang fam ?
I was wondering which cylinder heads will fit best on my ‘95 5.0 automatic.
i was thinking aluminum heads but which ones? I’m not trying to race my car but I want to add some more power.
when I do order the heads I end up choosing, do I just bolt back on ? I been researching and studying my engine for Almost a year ! Now that I’m working on this engine. I’m very surprised on how much information I gathered up. Here’s some pics so you guys can see/judge/talk about my work. Thank you guys in advance !!

Attachments

• 5A0CD0EA-B0D4-4BD4-835F-CB691FDC155D.png
    5A0CD0EA-B0D4-4BD4-835F-CB691FDC155D.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 112
  • 1061A808-C7F5-407D-B2EC-9B09A683EFB3.png
    1061A808-C7F5-407D-B2EC-9B09A683EFB3.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 108
  • Sponsors (?)

How’s it going mustang fam ?
I was wondering which cylinder heads will fit best on my ‘95 5.0 automatic.
i was thinking aluminum heads but which ones? I’m not trying to race my car but I want to add some more power.
when I do order the heads I end up choosing, do I just bolt back on ? I been researching and studying my engine for Almost a year ! Now that I’m working on this engine. I’m very surprised on how much information I gathered up. Here’s some pics so you guys can see/judge/talk about my work. Thank you guys in advance !!
All of my stuff is pretty well organized and labeled . Hopefully by the end of this I can help others work on there Pony :) 100

I moved this to the 79-95 forums so you will get some opinions on your head choice, you can also use this as a 'progress thread' to document your progress and ask questions as you hit those bumps that can rise when working on our cars,
Welcome to stangnet

Reactions: 1 user
WHat's the rest of the combo? WHat are your goals? What is your budget?

There are a million ways to answer this, but it all depends on what you are trying to do. A stock bottom end is going to limit your choice of larger head sizes due to lacking the pistons needed for proper PTV. There are the twisted wedge heads which might allow more aggressive cam profiles on the stock lower end.

How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

There are a million ways to answer this, but it all depends on what you are trying to do. A stock bottom end is going to limit your choice of larger head sizes due to lacking the pistons needed for proper PTV. There are the twisted wedge heads which might allow more aggressive cam profiles on the stock lower end.

How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?thank

How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to

How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
Everything is pretty much stock . Other than the distributer it’s relatively new. I want to keep the bottom end stock and replace the old heads with something just better ...
if I can just get the most out of the stock bottom end. Whats the most it would be able to handle ?

5.0 blocks have a "limit" or around 500HP before they start splitting. Even then, it takes high RPM to do it.

Really, budget is the limiting factor. It will dictate is we are talking GT40 heads/exolorer intake or a TFS 11R setup with custom grind cam

Last edited:
There are literally at least 20 aftermarket alum. heads, that easily make more power than the stock heads. They range in price from $500 to $2000 each.....Choose wisely.

Which heads with (more power) will fit on the stock lower end?
In my opinion The 3 best choices on a stock block would be:
Trickflow 170s
AFR 165s
Edelbrock Performer 5.0

You will also need other supporting mods like a better flowing intake, headers, roller rockers, cam (optional), larger injectors, MAF calibrated for the injectors (or a tune).

If you can afford them I would go with the trick flow 11R 170s. They offer a bit more piston to valve clearance for a stock short block. The AFRs are just as powerful but are a little different in the valve clearance area but always check clearance to make sure.

If you are new to all this and want a simple combo I'd suggest a top end kit. I only say this because all the parts are matched. At first it's easy to listen to tons of opinions and pick and choose various parts. Lots of times you'll end up with a terrible combo. With a top end kit, it's all correctly matched. I'll leave it to others to suggest which one.

add another $1-2k for supporting mods. Injectors, MAF, fuel pump, hardware, fluids, etc.

Exhaust mods should be done as well if not already done.

at that point, strong consideration to a new short block should be given depending on condition of yours.

also...at 350hp, now you may need to upgrade your trans.

rear axle might need some work too.

This can really snowball.

The 11r 190cc heads will more than likely provide adequate ptv for your average, middle-of-the-road camshaft. The 170 is a good head too, but the 190 is the same price so I’d recommend that route. This is all assuming you have the funds, which you haven’t mentioned what you’re looking to spend.

I think you all scared the op.away, he's hasn't been back in awhile. His head is probably still spinning..
Nobody “scared” him away..Nobody jumped him,..he did like so many others here do..
Piddle fck around..Ask a question.
Find out that they aren’t up to the task/or don’t have the pockets....
poof.
That guy got nothing but support...He decided that he couldn’t eat what he heaped onto his plate.