Seriously Considering the Griggs Gr350

01ragtop

May 20, 2004
San Diego
I know, I know $$$$$.

I called Griggs Racing yesterday to ask some questions about the Gr350. The very nice lady in sales didn't know all of the answers so she transferred me to the tech dpt. I asked tons of questions, and gave him my overall goals for the car. The Tech guy ended up being the owner, Bruce Griggs. I'm not running out tonight to get the suspension, but I have to admit if the owner is willing to talk to a potential sale on the phone for that long it makes me feel better about costumer service.

I have read here and other sites that this is hands down the best off the shelf sys for our cars. For the money you get quite a suspension, and it really isn't all that much money more than the ALL the BEST TCP stuff. Albeit harder to install, but not really harder than a Mustang II front end.

Griggs claimed it would make a 66 Mustang handle the road better than a new GT, and that the GR350 really shines in the 68-73. Yet it doesn't seem to be very popular compared to the Mustang II and TCP/Global West stuff. Any thoughts?

Link to Griggs pics http://www.griggsracing.com/extra_info_pages.php?pages_id=13

• Sponsors (?)

we installed a torque arm on a 96 cobra and it made a such a HUGE increase in handling, that we've been contemplating doing one on our shop car (67 fb ) :nice:

I like the fact that it has a K-member design with adjustable coil overs, very similar to what I have. It saves the weight and helps handling. The only thing I didn't see in the kit is the rack and pinion kit they are going with.

If you would like, you can come by and check out my AJE kit and if you come in week or two you can check out a g-bar install.

i like the griggs system, the price is far out of my pocket though. my suggestion is to start by upgrading the rear suspension with the griggs stuff. oyu will be surprised at how much the difference will be. you can then upgrade the front suspension at your leisure.

Don't get me wrong I don't have deep pockets either, but talking it over with Mrs. 01ragtop, we decided that between the engine currently planned and the better suspension we'll go with the suspension. It already has a decent 302, but I wanted a 347. In a perfect world I would get both, but I think the suspension will make the car safer and more fun to drive.

The only thing I didn't see in the kit is the rack and pinion kit they are going with.

If you would like, you can come by and check out my AJE kit and if you come in week or two you can check out a g-bar install.

Don't hold me to it but if I remember correctly, the R&P is from a SN95. I pretty sure the spindles and hubs are as well. The spindles have an adapter to convert from McPherson strut to a SLA. (I think)

This is part of why I am seriously considering this kit. I could buy 04 Cobra rotors, calipers, and pads. With the TCP/GW I still have to buy a brake kit.

I'm no engineer but the heavier spindles seem like a big improvement.

PS I sent you a PM about checking out your shop.

You could do the rear end and the engine.....

Once you get all the costs figured out, the GR system isn't that much more for so much more. If I was going to cut up my car, that's the only one I'd do.

You could do the rear end and the engine.....

Once you get all the costs figured out, the GR system isn't that much more for so much more. If I was going to cut up my car, that's the only one I'd do.

Cutting the car was/is a hard decision. I hope I don't regret doing it if I do go this route. My 66 is nothing rare, however, and I have no plans of ever selling the thing.

More pics of the GR350:

http://www.performanceautosport.com/detail.asp?car=5900

That front suspension setup with the k member looks pretty trick. So they said their components would work best in a 68-73 mustang. Hum...

I and some other big body stang owners wanted to do a rack and pinion swap on our old cars, but the placement of the front crossmember makes it difficult. That K member they developed of course would solve that little problem, although the car would have to be cut to fit it in. I wonder if that's an okay thing to do.

If I were to go that route on my 73 mustang then I could also switch over to a steering column like that found in my roommates 05 mustang. Hum...

Course all that speculation is mute. Since I couldn't even afford the box that the Grigs components would be shipped in. :)

Another vote for Griggs if you got the $, check corner-carvers

If I had the $, and didn't mind hacking everything up, I'd choose the Griggs in a heartbeat. That kit gets a great deal of respect on corner-carvers.com, and those guys should know.