Set Up For Welding In Subframe Connectors Correctly

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I have done a lot of searching but the answers I get are all over the place.

What I am looking to do since I will be doing this in my driveway, not on a lift. Is jack up the rear end and place 2 jack stands underneath the rear axle. And leave the front end on the floor.

Will this work, or will I need to jack the front end of the car up as well?

• Sponsors (?)

The best way to do it is with the weight of the vehicle on all four wheels so the unibody isn't flexing or twisting at all and keep your doors closed. If you can't then the rear axle can be supported like you said (suspension is still nearly being compressed as if it was on the tires) but for the front of the car it'd be best to jack it up and slide ramps (or equiv.) under the tires and lower it down on them so the suspension is compressed by the weight of the car. This should be done on an even surface or some how level the car by adjusting the height of the floor jacks/jack stands in the rear. Keep the jack stands in the rear outward near the tires as close as possible.

Good luck

Last edited:
You are gonna have to get the front end up off the ground.. The higher the better. I jacked mine up and put pieces of 2x10 underneath the front tires and used jack stands for the rear like you mentioned.put 3 or 4 2x10's under the front. Welding while laying on the ground sucks.. The inside of the frame rail is the crappy part... I welded the outside, then took the car to my buddy's garage and did the inside on the lift. You might be able to do the car on an alignment lift if you know anyone with one. Good luck

You are gonna have to get the front end up off the ground.. The higher the better. I jacked mine up and put pieces of 2x10 underneath the front tires and used jack stands for the rear like you mentioned.put 3 or 4 2x10's under the front. Welding while laying on the ground sucks.. The inside of the frame rail is the crappy part... I welded the outside, then took the car to my buddy's garage and did the inside on the lift. You might be able to do the car on an alignment lift if you know anyone with one. Good luck

I was looking at ramps and those fancy wheel blocks that are curved to fit your tire on it so your car doesn't roll (like raceoholic has) and i'm going to do what you suggested. A bunch of pieces of 4x10 and then top it off with two pieces of 2x4 on top so the wheel sits between them and doesn't roll. Redneck engineering 101 is a budget friendly way of doing things.

Reactions: 1 user