Sheesh...ever since I ran the nitrous that one time I have new exhaust Rattle!!

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
:bang: My exhaust guy who is pratically an artist with an IQ of 250 when it comes to exhaust says NOTHING is hitting. I didn't buy that so I taped it up in several places where I thought it might hit and then put some heat shielded padding in there....well, I have found ALL the possible points where it is hitting and it still makes the noise..

Weird thing is that this was happening b4 I changed over to the hooker muffs and after! It SEEMS to be coming from the driver's side muffler and it is like a dinging noise under full load but only when driving, not in neutral. Jump up and down and side to side on the car and NO NOISE. Take it out for a run under full load from 2500k-whatever and ring a ding ding...:bang: :bang:

So after hours of searching for this and test driving, I may have isolated it to the driv side muff cause when I bang on it with a RUBBER hammer it is making that stupid tinkerbell sound ding ding ding...not as loud but I recognize it..

Now is it at all possible that some metal came loose and is in the tailpipe behind the muffler and happened to be in there still even after welding the new mufflers? Could it also be one of my fairly new cats gone "wild"? Man this one has me freakin wacked.:shrug: :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

There was a similar topic on here a month or so ago, I don't think anyone came to any conclusions. When you hear it under high load, is it by any chance rpm-dependant? If so, have you considered maybe its engine knock (pinging)? I seem to get a ring-a-ding-ding noise coming from under the car once in a while under high load as well. I thought it might have been pinging, but I am not sure. I've never heard the pinging sound before to compare it to, so its a guess, but it seems to get worse in hot weather and when I run 89 octane in it. As of right now I'm running 94 octane and its damn cold out, and the sound is gone. Too much of a coincidence for me.

I've had my driver's side tailpipe rub the gas tank numerous times, and its more prominent at idle, more of a high-freqency dinging vibrationy sound that disappears when driving normally.

Keep us posted with your findings

Do you have Cats. I had the same thing happening to me on my other car. What had happened was a piece from inside the cat came loose and blew back to my muffler and got wedged in such a way that it was tinging everytime I would accelerate it would make a strange noise... like a flapping tinging noise. So tapp yur cats and see if something sounds like loose change .. if so that may be your problem

Do you have Cats. I had the same thing happening to me on my other car. What had happened was a piece from inside the cat came loose and blew back to my muffler and got wedged in such a way that it was tinging everytime I would accelerate it would make a strange noise... like a flapping tinging noise. So tapp yur cats and see if something sounds like loose change .. if so that may be your problem

I think this makes the most sense. My engine is new. Been tuned and doesn't ping.
I checked and double abd rechecked all possible rub points on the exhaust and has some one else check and I even inulated any remote chance spot that could be rubbing. No change.

Sounds like something is caught in the system right behind the ds rear muffler...